• Dotticure: Create a polka-dot themed mani using a bobby pin or dot tool. Layer bubbles of different sizes for a retro effect.
• Nail Stamp Kits: You can get these kits, each with dozens of designs, for under $10—example here. Just paint the color of your choice on the metal plate and use the stamp tool to transfer the pattern to your nail.
• Marbling: To fashion a multi-colored marbled design on each nail, drip nail polishes one by one into a bowl of water. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors together and dip your finger into the water until the color sticks to your nail. For more detailed instructions, see this tutorial.
• Decals: Decals, either sticker designs or a full nail pattern, take some of the guesswork (and the danger of sloppy lines, spills, and scratches) out of DIY nail art. Just apply using water, scissors and a piece of tissue.
• Nail Pens: Nail pens offer a simple way to dress up a one-note manicure. The super-fine pens can easily draw shapes, stripes, and dots on top of any background color.
For more nail art inspiration, see our gallery of easy designs and summer accessories.