As an internship veteran (I’ve had five across two cities), I’ve finally learned the ins and outs of succeeding at an internship—and it’s surprising how much the details can make or break your experience. Here are five things that every intern needs for a put-together and fun summer:
• Travel Mug: Whether you’re fueled by coffee, tea, or smoothies, a travel mug or thermos is a must, especially if you have an internship that requires outside-the-office travel. Take your caffeine with you from home to the staff kitchen and back again—you’d be surprised how quickly take-out coffee can add up.
• Cardigan: Conference rooms and corporate offices can be chilly (or downright freezing) in the summer, so keep a sweater in your desk.
• Tote: Choose a bag big enough to hold everything you’ll need for the day. That includes flats or flip-flops for running errands (or when your feet can’t stand heels for one more minute). Check out some of our favorites here.
• Watch: Wear a watch and never have to sneakily check your phone during a meeting again. You’ll look more professional, too.
• City Guide: The pocket-sized Not For Tourists books contain everything you need to know about your new city, from where to eat brunch to how to navigate public transportation. Available for New York, London, Chicago, Boston, D.C., San Francisco, and Atlanta.