Trivia: Firstborn is Number One

trophy-office_300Good news for all of the eldest children out there: A new study reported by The Guardian appears to show that if you’re the firstborn child in your family and female, you are statistically more likely to be the most ambitious and well-qualified of your whole clan.

As for the magic number between ages for kids, the study found that leaving a gap of at least four years between each child leads to greater chances of high-achieving tykes—and the wider the gap, the better.

Read the whole article here. And when you’re done, check out 10 ways to be closer to your siblings. (Hint: Gloating about how much more ambitious you are then them is not a wise strategy!)

COMMENTS

1. Jadergzavila Tiodepijama

if you are a first born, a female and the only kid, you got all the incentive to make it big. i put everything in my only daughter, and now at 26, she earns more than me.

June 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
  2. Ruth Moshier

i am a first born, yet i have no ambition to make it big, and it took me 50 years to figure it out. i find more comfort in the role of making sure things run smoother and organized and every one is working together-working as a team- working towards the same goal. i would often ask myself…”why am i not the leader that they keep telling me i am supposed to be?”
    …….and then it hit me.
    when i was small, really small, i was actually not the first. i was the first born of my family, but my parents had taken in my older cousin when his mother abandoned him. so actually had the role of my older brother figure… and i looked up to him for everything. i loved him dearly, i still do.

June 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm
  3. Kate

This is NOT news!
    It’s well known that women have to work longer & harder to get the SAME place in professional fields as men…even today!
    Not too long ago, in my earlier years 1960/70’s, very few women went into medicine, law, engineering etc. This was reserved for the ‘Green Fields’ of the family-males!
    It was the females ‘job’ to maintain the home, kids, have babies every spring, etc.
    Times have slowly changed…for the better!

June 9, 2014 at 9:08 pm
  4. Lise C

I call bs on this one……………I am the oldest, I’ve done ok, but my younger brother is the star! I’m not jealous of him, just very proud!

June 9, 2014 at 10:15 pm
  5. teemtwo

Reblogged this on Conservative Calmversation and commented:
    And as you all may have guessed, I’m numero uno among my siblings…

June 10, 2014 at 1:38 am
  6. Rhonda Ikenberry

whoever wrote this MUST be a first born! Speaking for #2………this is full of crap!

June 10, 2014 at 7:00 am
  7. Larry Brindle

Another smack down for the “nobody” kid. Oldest, youngest, only boy, only girl. “Nobody” kid, just be patient one day you will be a cartoon star!

June 10, 2014 at 9:24 am
  8. Mama

As long as your mother was not 36 or older when you were born or that you’re an only child of a 36 plus mother, you’re totally screwed. Seriously, it does not matter if you’re the middle cild or the youngest one, if your oldest or older siblings is a good role model, the younger siblings usually try harder to beat that sibling. They try to follow in the sibs footsteps and work on passing them. Kudos to those who succeed,perhaps the older sibs should think about getting back in the business.

June 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm