The Top 10 Biggest Wedding Guest Complaints from SHEfinds.com

April 29, 2014 | By | Comments (13)
SHEfinds.com

SHEfinds.com

Springtime marks the start warmer temperatures (let’s hope) and the kick off to wedding season! Whether it’s your own, a family member’s, friend’s, or coworker’s, there is no doubt that you’ll be attending one or two of these celebrations over the next few months.

Our friends at SHEfinds.com have put together a list of the top 10 biggest wedding guest complaints from their panel of wedding experts. From bad food choices to bad directions, this list will help you avoid some of the big complaint causers (although not all…as the SHEfinds editors say, you can’t please everyone!)

To see the full article, click here.

More wedding tips from RealSimple.com:

9 Unique Wedding Favors

22 Great Wedding Gift Ideas

Choose the Perfect Wedding Dress

COMMENTS

1. Betsy

I have attended several weddings in the south in recent years. I am curious if there is a rule of thumb or etiquette for gift giving at weddings. I have learned that many people, from the bridal party to relatives of the bride & groom) do not give gifts. I was totally surprised to hear this! Since I am not a native southerner, I wondered if this was a southern custom.

April 30, 2014 at 1:53 pm
  2. Mary

No, it is not customary to not give gifts. A small gift for a shower and a big gift for the wedding is amost appropriate. At least in my humble, lifelong Southern opinion.

June 16, 2014 at 2:42 pm
  3. Pat

WOW! NO gifts from the family (and bridal party)??? Our families give even bigger gifts BECAUSE they are family. It sure isn’t a custom here in the Northeast!

June 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm
  4. Ali

I got married two months ago in the South and was surprised that some guests and groomsmen didn’t give a gift – not even a card! It really wasn’t about the gift itself but it seemed odd not to get a card or some form of well wishes from some of those invited to share in our special day. I will always be sure to give a gift at weddings. :)

June 16, 2014 at 2:54 pm
  5. SAMCat12

I’ve lived in the South for over 30 years and have never experienced such a thing as guests not giving a wedding gift. It is not a southern ‘thang’

June 16, 2014 at 3:02 pm
  6. Sandy

No gifts, no RSVP, arriving late, no help from the bridesmaids.or grooms men, ..I can go on, this is not customary, this is a generation of a lack of etiquette.

June 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm
  7. Denise

This list is exactly why I would elope before I would have a formal wedding! It’s supposed to be about the bride and the groom – why ruin your special day stressing over the needs of your “guests”?

And, Number 10 is my Number 1 peeve – not getting a Thank You. Speaking of southern weddings, I attended a “destination” wedding years ago that cost me transportation, hotel room, and a weekend’s worth of time. Never got a note acknowledging the gift!

Of course, there’s no way to really know if they got it or not, as you don’t want to call them on not writing a note. So they may be thinking that I didn’t give them anything because it was lost or the card got separated or whatever. Quite the conundrum!

June 16, 2014 at 3:50 pm
  8. Cheryl

How about the top 10 complaints from the wedding planner or bride? #1 guests asking to bring their children. HELLO. Weddings are adult parties. If you can’t find a babysitter, send your regrets. #2 Find out if you can get a babysitter and THEN RSVP to the invitation. Don’t wait until 2 days before the wedding and then tell me you can’t come – after I’ve paid for your $125 per plate reception dinner. #3 Guests expecting an open bar. I’m not paying for you to get drunk, make an a** of yourself and ruin the reception. You want a drink of cheap wine – buy it yourself. #4 A wedding gift should at least be commensurate to the value of your meal – the $2 towel set from the Kohls clearance rack doesn’t cut it. #5 Replying you are bringing a guest, but not providing that guest’s name. And don’t get all indignant when it’s 10 days before the wedding and I ask for your guest’s name to print on the escort card – and you haven’t yet decided which one of your 10 floozy hook-up dates you’re bringing. Shall I continue?? Most of us are usually a wedding guest AND part of the bridal couple at some point in our life. Suck it up and make the best of things. But the bride, her momma and the wedding planner have enough stress without your high maintenance requirements for a special day.

June 16, 2014 at 4:54 pm
  9. Cheryl Cruickshank

I’ve never heard anything more crass than believing that a guest’s gift should “be commensurate with the value of your meal”. Anyone who thinks that someone they have invited to share a special day with them owes them a payback for the meal that is provided is clueless,lacking in good taste and should spare themselves the aggravation of not getting a big enough return on their “investment” and elope.

June 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm
  10. Barbara MacKnight

I am with you on this one, Cheryl Cruickshank. If the bride chooses to spend a fortune for the food, that is not my concern. The last time I checked, guests are just that, guests. If I want to be a paying guest, I could certainly locate finer food than wedding buffet fare.

June 17, 2014 at 12:21 am
  11. Lisa

The real focus of a real wedding? Bride-Groom-family-Love. Not every detail needs to be a show-stopper. In the end, does it really matter if your cake cost was $400 versus $1,400? If your exit item (bubbles/sparklers/confetti/rice) was hand wrapped and labeled with calligraphy? Beautiful details can be chosen as focal points – and the rest of the details more “basic”. Personally, I don’t go to weddings expecting $125 per plate meals. I just want to celebrate the couple. We are not all Paris Hilton. There’s no need for our special day to stress us out – and ruin ours and our families financial stability to create a Paris Hilton illusion.

June 17, 2014 at 8:32 am
  12. Babs Loyd

It’s possible the family gave money gifts before the event. If guests realize the expense of a sit down dinner, etc. for a reception, they should definitely give a lovely gift. And, RSVP so the couple will know how many are actually attending the event! One complaint, that there was not enough food, could be related to the lack of the non-RSVPers showing up! One of my pet peeves, obviously.

June 17, 2014 at 9:58 am
  13. Debbie McKinney

The reason Southerners don’t bring gifts to the wedding is that it is impolite. The gifts should be delivered to the home of the bride so that the couple doesn’t have to hassle with them the night of the wedding.

June 18, 2014 at 8:10 am