How to Avoid Kitchen Clutter

kitchen-cleaning_300Do you find half-filled cups, glasses, and mugs throughout your house at the end of each day? If the kitchen clutter is driving you up the wall, consider creating a designated spot for the not-quite-empty vessels.

By choosing one table or counter where everyone can put their beverages that they have every good intention of eventually finishing, you create a visual reminder to everyone in the family—not to mention, you also skip the “Are you done with that coffee yet?” conversation. At the end of the day, put everything that’s still out in the dishwasher.

See Real Simple readers’ best cleaning tips and tricks.

COMMENTS

1. Merri Fanover

Not to be rude, but I want the 30 seconds of my life back that it took to read this “tip” – I feel like your site content is so poor in comparison to your magazine’s content (which I love).

March 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm
  2. AT

I second this comment. I was expecting a series of tips and ideas for how to avoid clutter – such as what to do with bills, purses and keys, uncompleted projects, fruit or snacks, appliances, etc. One short paragraph telling you to put your unfinished drinks in one place isn’t what I was expecting.

March 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm
  3. Rachel Stein

Very sorry to read both of these comments, but I sincerely appreciate your feedback. This was designed as a quick tip you can start doing immediately, but for more in-depth ideas for corralling kitchen clutter, I suggest this piece: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/organizing/kitchen/kitchen-ideas-00100000093041/index.html

March 7, 2014 at 2:50 pm
  4. Tera

I think it is a good tip & one I had never thought of. Some times a small change can make a big difference. Thanks!

March 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm
  5. doadoahnile7

It’s very nice

March 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm
  6. Emily

If I designated a spot it would stay there for eternity. They are old enough to put things away. I am sorry but I am not the maid.

March 17, 2014 at 7:14 pm
  7. johanna

great for when you are in such a hurry and you have a bunch of kids living in your house

April 25, 2014 at 7:25 am