How to Dry Clothes Faster

March 3, 2014 | By | Comments (12)

Laundry Room

Ah, laundry day. If you’ve put the dreaded chore off until the last minute, use these two tips to ensure your clothes are dry by the time you have to be out the door.

1. Clean out the exhaust duct, which runs from the back of the machine to a vent outside, every two years. A buildup of lint inside the duct restricts airflow, leading to longer drying times and wrinkling—it’s also a pretty serious fire hazard.

2. Untangle clothes and add each item to the dryer separately, filling up the drum no more than three-quarters of the way for normal loads and halfway for permanent press ones. Trying to dry a boulder-size wad of wet material, or overcrowding the machine, slows down the process and causes things to wrinkle.

See more laundry questions, answered.

COMMENTS

1. pat

better yet, use wool dryer balls- they separate, fluff and eliminate static, no need for chemically laden fabric sheets or softener

March 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
  2. kimann9

you need to clean vents every month if you wait for 2 years you will burn down your house !!!!

March 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm
  3. Wynona Murray

Put a bath towel in your dryer will help clothes dry faster. I don’t know how, but it works for me.

March 11, 2014 at 7:24 pm
  4. Shannon

I use the dry towel method too, works very well.

March 13, 2014 at 11:41 am
  5. Terry

I love that laundry room!

March 13, 2014 at 11:49 am
  6. Leslie

what are wool dryer balls and where can you buy them? (they don’t smell, do they?)

Also, just a plain, dry, clean towel? How much time does that cut? thanks!

March 13, 2014 at 1:01 pm
  7. Brigitt Hauck

Hi Leslie… I like these wool dryer balls: http://www.loo-hoo.com/

March 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm
  8. KD

I ordered that industrial rolling laundry cart from Amazon and I love it!

March 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  9. davyion

You have to have more (than the 6 per pkg) dryer balls for the front loading HE dryers and they increase the static in anything containing any polyester (artificial fabrics). In those cases, I use an unscented dryer sheet. If you have the HE dryers they are either provide & require you to buy metal ducts and that cuts down on fire danger as does religiously cleaning your lent screen between loads. If I’m drying something linty like towels, so that my laundry will dry quicker, I usually clean the lint screen 1/2 way through. However, I’d still clean my vent, or have someone with a special tool come & clean it out from outside & in the duct once per year.

March 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm
  10. Natasha Allen-Hallyburton

Doesn’t anyone hang clothes out on the washing line anymore…?

March 13, 2014 at 10:33 pm
  11. sara bojarski

I still hang out my wash but lots of neighborhoods are deed restricted so it can’t be done !

March 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm
  12. W. Lang

How do you clean out the dryer vent, any suggestions?

March 24, 2014 at 6:52 pm