How to Get the Lowest Airfares

February 7, 2014 | By | Comments (7)

Paper airplane construction by Matthew Sporzynski

Airlines and other travel companies use cookies, files that remember what websites you’ve visited and how many times you’ve looked at certain pages. When you look at a particular flight without making a purchase, the airline’s website knows you’ve shown interest in that flight and may raise the price next time you visit.

To ensure you’re getting the lowest fare available, clear the cookies on your Internet browser or log on to the airline’s website with an browser you don’t typically use. For example, if you normally use Chrome, try Firefox or Internet Explorer.

See more ways to save on air travel expenses.

COMMENTS

1. NicholeDodgsonbao

waooooooo

February 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm
  2. Brad E Wakeman

Or just use the “inCognito” option for Google Chrome or “inPrivate” tab for Internet Explorer or “Private” tab for Mozilla FireFox. . . .

February 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm
  3. Elizabeth

Good tip, Brigitte – clearing your cache so you don’t get a higher fee on your next visit applies to car rentals and hotels too

February 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm
  4. Ed

I detest legislation, but an airline should not be able to raise fares based on how many times I’ve check ed the price. Should a retailer charge me more because I;ve looked at a product 5 times before I buy? i figure out that airlines do this long ago, but feel it’s completely unethical.

February 10, 2014 at 6:45 pm
  5. Bo

or, they might need to LOWER the fare because you did not purchase last time.

February 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm
  6. Jennie Kristel

Which I think happened to me. Just booked tickets at 300 less because it appeared the fares went down..

February 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  7. cher

I have suspected that the airlines were doing this for a long time. No one believed me. They also like to boot you out then claim someone else got the ticket at that price you were trying to get and of course trying again brings the ticket price higher. I am going to try to figure out the private setting noted to kick the practice to the curb.

February 11, 2014 at 1:15 pm