A Clever Way to Keep Track of RSVP Cards

February 3, 2014 | By | Comments (6)

wedding-envelopes_300Oftentimes, guests will send back response cards without actually writing their names on the RSVP—talk about confusing and frustrating for the host! The next time you send out invitations that require mailed response cards (think a formal wedding or shower), invest in an invisible ink pen with a black light ($7.50 for a four-pack, Amazon.com)—a.k.a., a “spy pen.”

When creating your guest list, assign each guest a number. Then, when you pack your invitations, write each guest’s corresponding number on the back of his or her RSVP card with the invisible ink pen. If you receive a card without a name on it, just shine the light where you wrote the number. Your guests will never know, and you won’t have to spend precious time tracking down the mysterious repliers!

See how to properly address wedding invitations.

COMMENTS

1. Christina Lalama

This sounds cute if you are into playing Sherlock Holmes, but wouldn’t it be easier sending the RSVP cards with the guests’ names on them already?

February 5, 2014 at 11:03 pm
  2. Tina Azure

I was wondering how on earth a guessing game would occur.

February 6, 2014 at 8:38 am
  3. Phoebe Hopps

You always have a line for the person to write their name… I can’t imagine someone sending back a blank RSVP card. Now how to get those people who don’t even BOTHER to send back the card— that’s a mystery I’d like solved!!!

February 6, 2014 at 9:04 am
  4. Joan

Great idea! Somehow a few people don’t seem to know what the blank line is for.
    Filling them out in advance would be A LOT of additional work and sometimes, if people want to (and may) bring a guest, the host may not know who the guest is until the card is returned.

February 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm
  5. julie

@Christina, when you’re sending out 200 invitations (e.g. for a wedding), writing the names on each of the RSVPs–after you’ve already handwritten the envelopes–is prohibitively tiresome for my wrist, at least. I’d much rather number things, which would correspond to an excel spreadsheet that is pre-numbered for me. Much less work. I think only about half of my guests who declined my wedding remembered to put their name on the RSVP, and there was a lot of guesswork (largely based on zip code and process of elimination) trying to figure out who the RSVP was from.

February 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm
  6. Leah

I read on a lot of the reviews on Amazon that the ink from these pens fades long before the RSVP cards will ever come back to you. Anyone have any idea like this where you’d still actually be able to identifier, even though the guest can’t up to many week later?

March 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm