An Easy Way To Get Your Finances in Order

holidaycalender-cards_300If your New Year’s resolution is getting your finances organized, take this advice from Alexa von Tobel, Founder/CEO of LearnVest.com and author of Financially Fearless, and start by setting up calendar reminders for all of your financial to-dos.

Says von Toblel, “Create reminders for all of your bills, your taxes, your credit score checks, and your health. I like to schedule all of my doctor appointments in January to make sure I’m staying on top of annual exams.”

If you’re worried that all of the reminders will clog up your email, create a separate account for them, along with your financial statements.

Get more financial help for everyday money worries.

COMMENTS

1. Courtneyqj

I was expecting a lot more to this…

January 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm
  2. Yvonne

Yeah. I was expecting more, too. Like setting up folders for receipts so they can be filed as they come in to make tax time easier. Anyway…

January 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm
  3. deer tracks

How do I apply for this author’s job. Seriously. A calendar to organize my finances! Most folks use online billing and budget paperless debits for household expenses already. Dr appts …I use an envelope for benefit claim statements, write Annual. Dentist. Eye mammo with a space to enter DATE done. Another envelope for TAX receipts, charitable giving, stock trades. Google calendar ok but back-up digital stuff. Financial planner annual review( for humor) I bring my red binder with stock trades and copy of ANY statement showing values.insurance TOO.

January 6, 2014 at 5:12 pm
  4. Luvmuffin1

“Tidbit” is right. In this case an actual article would have been more informative.

January 6, 2014 at 5:41 pm
  5. Rhonda White

Real Simple is right.

January 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm
  6. brenda

For the real deal ck out Dave Ramseys ‘real deal’

January 7, 2014 at 9:06 am
  7. Bethany

Haha! Reading the comments was better than reading the article.

January 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm
  8. Rachel Stein

Very sorry to read that a few of you were disappointed by the tip. We have more in-depth finance content here—hope that helps!: http://browse.realsimple.com/work-life/money/index.html

January 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm