How to Keep Side Dishes Warm

November 22, 2013 | By | Comments (15)

Thanksgiving Potluck

When hosting a big dinner, it’s nearly impossible to have everything come out of the oven at just the right time. If you’re preparing a large meal, use this tip to keep side dishes (like mashed potatoes) warm while the rest of the food finishes cooking.

Place food in an ovenproof serving dish, cover with foil, and place in a 200° F oven until your guests are seated and it’s time to eat.

Make dinner prep even easier by adding one of these make-ahead Thanksgiving recipes to your menu.

COMMENTS

1. Brad E Wakeman

That’s tricky when the oven’s being used to cook other dishes. . . .

November 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm
  2. Doris

Brad, u r so right!

November 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm
  3. Mary

Not very helpful blogger person……

November 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm
  4. Rose

This proves anyone can write a blog

November 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  5. S. willson

Well said, my second oven is broken anyway. Duh !

November 24, 2013 at 11:30 am
  6. Monica

this is nothing new………

November 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm
  7. Marlene

Pretty harsh folks, she wanted to help.

November 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm
  8. Brad E Wakeman

I wasn’t trying to be harsh, I was just basing it on the bit, “while the rest of the food finishes cooking.” Seems to me that food cooks in the oven at a temp higher than 200ºF and I don’t personally know anyone with more than one oven. . . . Brigitt has posted some very helpful blogs but this ones seems a bit ill advised. . . .

November 24, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  9. Robin

If you are still cooking as your guests sit to eat hmmm I have only one oven and cook for 23 to 30 each thanksgiving. I do exactly as Brigitt suggests. Been cooking this meal for the past 7 years. It can be done.

November 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm
  10. Jan

I place my serving dishes with the food in them in my electric frying pan (buffett style) with some water in the bottom to create steam place foil over the top to create a tent, so as to not touch the food and it stays warm. I also use my slow cooker the same way.

November 25, 2013 at 4:38 am
  11. Bonne Becker

Rose: Perhaps this is why you won’t be on my Christmas list. I just happened on this site, and see so many of you ganging up on the writer who was only trying to be helpful. If you don’t have a second oven, like me. Then hit up your grill/hibatchi whatever to get a source of heat on the dishes that you have already completed. Cover will foil, and hope everyone is on time. Have a nice holiday people.

November 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  12. Rita

Use an ice chest they keep thing warm as well as cool

November 26, 2013 at 6:10 am
  13. Penny D.

Great way to keep mashed potatos and sweet potatos ready to go…is prepare them the day before and then put them into crock pots and heat on low while the other items are baking. They are ready to serve when all the other food is ready :-)

November 26, 2013 at 11:50 am
  14. Cindy Politte

I use my gas grill as a warming oven. Just turn on low and place in foil pans/cover with foil to keep warm…

November 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm
  15. elektryczne ogrzewanie podłogowe

Firma Goldtherm jest producentem ogrzewanie podjazdów.
    Najlepsze elektryczne ogrzewanie podłogowe, oszczędność i wygoda.

August 13, 2014 at 6:04 am