Don’t commit a technical foul this Thanksgiving. Consider these bird-prep questions your practice drill.
1. How many pounds of turkey should you buy for 10 people?
A.) 10 pounds
B.) 15 pounds
C.) 17 pounds
D.) 20 pounds
2. What temperature does the turkey need to reach before you take it out of the oven?
A.) 150 degrees F
B.) 165 degrees F
C.) 175 degrees F
D.) 195 degrees F
3. How long does the turkey need to rest before you start carving?
A.) 5 minutes
B.) 10 minutes
C.) 20 minutes
D.) 30 minutes
Ready for the answers?
1. 15 pounds: As a rule of thumb, plan on 1½ pounds of uncooked bone-in bird per person (if you want leftovers)—so for 10 diners, that’s 15 pounds. As you continue to prep, be sure to check out these essential turkey tools.
2. 165 degrees F: To ensure the most accurate reading, be careful that your thermometer doesn’t touch a bone. Get step-by-step instructions here.
3. 30 minutes: Cover the pan with aluminum foil, and let sit. Remember patience is a virtue—this process allows the cooking juices to be reabsorbed into the bird. Need to keep your younger guests entertained in the meantime? Try these bright ideas.
See our complete guide on how to pull off a foolproof Thanksgiving.