Wednesday Trivia: Paying on Dates

September 25, 2013 | By | Comments (3)

Cash and wallet

Whether you’re dating all the time—or haven’t dated in years—you know the age-old rule: The man is supposed to pick up the check. But how many people actually believe in it—and abide by it—especially in the age of Leaning In (and you know, gender equality)?

According to a recent study titled “Who Pays for Dates? Following versus Challenging Conventional Gender Norms,” 25 percent of couples split dating costs within the first month of their relationship, but in the other 75 percent of couples, the man pays. In fact, in a quarter of couples, the man continues to pay for dates a whopping 6 months into the relationship!

But that doesn’t mean the men are happy about it. In fact, 44% of men said they would stop dating a woman who never pays, and 64% of men said they believed women should contribute to dating expenses. As for ladies: While 57%  say they offer to pay, most of that percentage hope the man won’t actually accept.

What do you think? Should we set a new rule for splitting dating costs? Has the time finally come? Here’s what our etiquette columnist, Catherine Newman, has to say on the topic.


  1. AlysonRGreene (@AlysonRGreene)

    my friend’s mother makes $70/hr on the computer. She has been out of a job for 5 months but last month her income was $15720 just working on the computer for a few hours. browse around this site….

    September 25, 2013 at 8:30 pm

    Does your site have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but,
    I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some suggestions
    for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way,
    great blog and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    December 19, 2013 at 11:20 am
  3. phytoceramides pros and cons

    Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to
    and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here,
    really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a
    tremendous site.

    October 7, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s