How to Make Your Perfume Last Longer

September 20, 2013 | By | Comments (9)

Life Guide: Beauty, "Make No Mistake," p. 118

You’ve done your research and found a fragrance you adore. The tough part: How to make it actually last the night. If you’re trying to go the evening without your perfume completely fading, there are a few tricks to try.

According to Jean Claude Ellena, a perfumer for Hermès, there are three things to attribute to the staying power of a perfume: your skin (larger pores trap scent more easily), your nose (some people are just more sensitive to smells—which means your neighbor may be able to sense your fragrance better than you can), and the perfume itself. Since that third factor is the only one you have control over, choose an eau de parfum, which is more concentrated and stronger than an eau de toilette or a splash.

And while no scent will last more than 24 hours, applying perfume to body parts that aren’t exposed to the air—think the nape of your neck (if you have long hair), covered wrists—will help the product evaporate less quickly.

Get more perfume advice here.

COMMENTS

1. jan hunter

rashidmedmood-get off this website-doofus!

September 21, 2013 at 1:39 pm
  2. Judy H.

I don’t necessarily know if these tips on making fragrance last longer are all that helpful. In fact, I don’t really consider them tips or ideas at all.

Hey car people…get a grip…or better still, get a life! Your sophomoric attempt at humor is not even close to a grin.

September 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm
  3. Jane

@Judy H. They are called spammers for a reason. They aren’t trying to be humerous.
    Diligent mods would delete their posts. Maybe there are none here.

September 22, 2013 at 6:10 am
  4. Julia Edelstein

Hi Jane. Apologies for the delay! We have deleted the spam comments on this post.

September 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm
  5. Eemma01

I wish there was also something here explaining just because you can’t smell your perfume anymore doesn’t mean no one else can either. I am sensitive to strong perfume (it can give me an instant headache) and there are far too many people that wear enough scent they can be smelled from yards away.

September 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm
  6. indieprincess

I put my perfumes in the refrigerator and find that the scents last very well even 2 years later. I obviously don’t wear perfume every day or even every month. Hope it works for you.

September 29, 2013 at 5:26 am
  7. Tom Shevsky

Ok, so is there any way to make my skin pores hm … larger? I will investigate it further but in the meantime one more tip, before applying the perfume, put some unscented Vaseline on your skin and rub it till it’s almost gone than apply your fragrance on the very same place.

September 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm
  8. fbarreto

Nice tricks,i will try thanks

December 19, 2013 at 11:23 am