Are You Wearing Your Bra Too Often?

September 16, 2013 | By | Comments (13)

Woman putting on T-shirt over lace bra

We all have our favorite bra. It makes sense—bras can be tough to shop for. That doesn’t mean you should wear the same one every day.

Freshpair bra fit expert Bobbie Smith recommends rotating your bras every other day to extend their shelf lives. Rotating your bra relieves tension from the elastic, which helps ensure it doesn’t stretch out too quickly.

When is it time to get a new one? After about 8 months of normal wear and tear, head to the store, says Smith.

Looking for a new bra? See T-shirt bras for every shape.

COMMENTS

1. Amy Gray

FYI~ The bra pictured here is the incorrect size for the model. I would say she has a 34C or 36B on. WAAAAY too big around and the cup size is not large enough for her breasts as the wire cuts into her tissue. You might want to get it right or don’t bother posting… Credibility is shot.

September 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm
  2. lilia

i don’t see what you’re talking about Amy.

September 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  3. Hmmmm…

the bra seems to look fine on the model. i can’t see at all where it’s cutting into her!

September 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  4. melissa

Amy, I don’t see that either. She is not spilling out of the cup on the side plus you would have to see the front view as well to tell that. And what makes you think the band is to too big, or even WWAAAY big? I don’t see it sagging. I would truly like to understand what you are seeing that indicates this. Please advise. Thanks

September 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm
  5. Lisa in Gvl

I agree with Amy on the cup. Breast tissue extends to under the arm, it doesn’t stop where this bra does, and that’s true for most off the rack of bras available in department stores, discount stores, and even Victoria’s Secret. Don’t know about whether it’s too big around or not. If you can fasten your bra pretty easily, it’s probably not giving you enough support. If your straps are holding up the girls at all, the bra is too big around. Most women wear a bra that’s too big around (total fit) and yet the cup size is too small.

September 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm
  6. Dyani

I’m confused yet interested about these comments. Can I get some sort of helpful link to an article with pictures of what a good fit is according to what you ladies said here?

September 17, 2013 at 10:48 pm
  7. Melissa

She could be pressing her breast to the side with her arm…besides I don’t think you could make a fair assessment from this photograph. It’s just a graphic.

September 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm
  8. gramyc

Lisa in GVI is right on! I fit bras at Nordstrom for fifteen years. The model should be wearing a 32DD or thereabouts. The bra is riding up her back, therefore giving her no support. The shoulder straps should be adjusted NO MORE than 1″ – 1 1/2″. If they are, the bra is too big around EVERY time. The straps should be in line with the earlobes, generally speaking, unless it is a specialty bra which is made to ride wider on the shoulders for garments such as has a boatneck. One should never “fuss” with the straps, yanking and pulling and tugging. If one is “fussing” the bra is not the correct fit. The straps do NOT support the breasts. You should be able to pull them off the shoulders with no sagging effect in the cups. The breasts should be supported from the back, down low. It is a simple matter of physics. When I fit a bra, I pull the back out about a half inch to one inch at THE MOST. If I can pull it out more than that, it is too big! There is a reason why we all call them “boulder holders”. Most women (80%, I would say) are wearing the wrong size and have NO CLUE. After being fit in the proper size, women would come back with effusive thanks and ask where I had been all of their lives! I gained MANY loyal customers over my fifteen years serving them. It was a joy and a passion of mine!

The most common misconception is that all A (or B, or C, or D cups) are created equal. They are NOT! A 34C is the same as a 32D or a 36B. Next time you are in the Lingerie department, check it out for yourself. Hold each of those sizes aforementioned and put them together. They are all the same! What is different is the DISTANCE between the breasts or cups (or girls). If you have a smaller body frame with too large of a bra on, your “headlights” will point outwards, too far apart, hence my “earlobes” statement. Okay, I’m done with my missive…

September 18, 2013 at 1:07 am
  9. gramyc

P.S. Look at the picture carefully. Notice the tissue under her arm spilling out of the cup. The cup, because it is too small, has nowhere for the breast tissue to go except up and out!! While we may think it is sexy and the boys love it, our girls don’t! They “wibble-wobble” and shake here and there and get NO support at all! Heck, if I didn’t wear a good supportive bra, I would have long ago beat myself to death! Joggers, especially, need to get a correct fit. Just watch the runners in the parks and you will see who has a good supportive bra on!

September 18, 2013 at 1:25 am
  10. Donna Taylor

Thank you gramyc for your informative comments. I have never been fitted for a bra by a professional. I always purchased my bras from department stores that carried the brand that is found in everyone of them. I have always worn a 38D or 40D depending on my weight fluctuation. In the last ten yrs. I have noticed that the cup sizes are considerably smaller in comparison to the girth size & it is the same brand that I have always worn. Now I have to purchase a 38DDD to keep my breast from overflowing out the back of the cups & into my under arms. I have tried on every brand that the stores carry & they are all using this new sizing. Any suggestions on a brand or place that I can shop for a bra. I will be 60 yrs. old in a couple weeks & would like to get a new, correct fitting bra. I am certainly not as “firm” as I was in my twenties – thirties & it is really difficult to make my clothes look good any more. Thanks in advance for any help.

September 18, 2013 at 2:21 am
  11. Suellen Schobelock

I get what you are saying about bras fitting and how a bra is supposed to fit yayaya…but the point of her article was how to make them last longer not does your bra fit correctly. So even if Amy Gray is correct in her post she was way off base on the whole point, and harsh! I don’t understand how she links the slightly ill fitted bra to the writers credibility, especially since she probably just pulled a pic from somewhere.

September 18, 2013 at 9:11 am
  12. Margo Randolph

BTW she’s removing the shirt. You can’t honestly see the true fit of the bra by that picture.I agree with Suellen that has nothing to do with the story. SHM !!!

September 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm
  13. gramyc

Donna Taylor, you are headed in the right direction! The first question I ask a woman is what dress size (or blouse/top) is she wearing. Generally speaking, with some exceptions, a size 4-6 dress will wear a 32, simply because there are hardly any companies who make a size 30. (Wacoal had a “Petite” line which started at 32AA. I don’t know if they still do.) Dress size 8-10 will wear a 34, a 12-14 will wear a 36, a 16-18 will wear a 38 and so forth. I judge the cup size by eyeballing and go from there. If a bra is too tight I always suggest trying on the next CUP size first, before going up in the band size as that is usually (99%) the problem in a too-tight bra. You are trying to mush too much breast into too small of a cup. Then I always have the woman do the “milkshake”. Bend over and shake those girls into your cups. When you stand back up, they should all be tucked nicely inside the cup. If you have MORE than two girls (i.e. three or four) which are popping out, then the cup size is too small. Go up a cup, or two, or three! There are companies out there that are making larger cup sizes as there seems to be a trend of larger “girls”, meaning breasts, these days. Also, as you noted, Donna, we seem to put on weight in our girls as we age so it is important to reevaluate often. I personally wear Wacoal, as does Oprah, but Chantelle bra is wonderful and specializes in E, F, and G cups! They are also high on my list of “go-to” bras. Since I have been out the retail business for a number of years, I know that the options are increasing, but off the top of my head, I can’t think of the brand names. Also to be noted, some companies use the letter E for DD, F for DDD, and G for DDDD. There are also H cups out there. I think vendors are finally beginning to catch up with what women are really like in their “girlfriend area” and I suspect also, that hormone additives play a part in the increase of breast size that I’ve seen over the years. Be aware that different styles fit differently and just because a size in one style fits you doesn’t mean that the same size in a different style will also fit. That’s why you should find someone who is an expert fitter (Victoria’s Secret is NOT the place to go) as she will know her bras and will be able to suggest ones for you that will give the look you desire. As an aside, a “T-Shirt” bra is usually going to have a bit of lining, which will cause it to fit more snuggly, which means that most every time you will want to try a cup size larger than what you normally wear. And also, for the naysayers, I can most certainly tell in the attached picture, even with the model taking off her top, that she is wearing the wrong size. If it were the correct size, the bra would NOT be riding up her back AND the boobs would NOT be pushing up out of the cup. And as to the credibility issue, I strive for excellence and if I were the blogger in this post, I would have looked for a picture that would have portrayed a correct fit as I would want to be credible since I am portraying myself as an expert (if even only as a launderer of them), which, by the way, is a whole other issue! If I had not been able to find a pic which portrayed a correct fit, I would have found a way to get my own picture, using one of my daughters or a model. By the way, you can call me harsh, call me dipstick, whatever, I love what I do! It won’t deter me! Meanwhile, here’s to the GIRLS!! They are truly our “besties”! BTW, I was also a certified prosthesis fitter during my fifteen years and the women who had mastectomies, uni- or bi-lateral, are my heroes. They overcame their trials with dignity and humor and I honor them for their courage.

September 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm