Today’s the last day of flip-flop season (at least in New York City). And after months of traipsing around in skimpy plastic shoes, chances are your feet aren’t looking so fabulous. Here’s how to get them back into shape—without breaking the bank.
1. Apply cuticle oil to nails and the surrounding skin.
2. Sink feet into a tub filled with warm water and soak feet for 10 to 20 minutes. Then gently push cuticles back with a washcloth and remove tough patches of skin with a pumice stone or a foot file.
3. Towel-dry feet thoroughly, then massage in a foot cream, working it up from your toes to your knees.
4. File nails straight across with an emery board to avoid hangnails, infections, and ingrown nails.
5. Wipe away surface oils from nails with a cotton pad soaked in polish remover. Then apply a base coat, two coats of color, and a top coat.
With this simple routine, your tootsies will look wonderful in no time. No expensive pedicure required. Want stronger feet too? Check out these four exercises.