How to Quickly Clean Your Crock Pot

August 21, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

Slow Cooker

When you’re out all day, a slow-cooker is a great tool for making quick and easy meals. Who wouldn’t want a homemade dinner that’s ready the instant you walk in the door?! Unfortunately, trying to clean these clunky, heavy appliances can be quite the feat. Here, cleaning expert Anna Moseley, explains how to tackle the task:

Make a paste of baking soda (such as Arm & Hammer) and water (it should be about the consistency of pancake batter). Use your fingers to rub the paste onto any dirty or stubborn spots, and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Wipe off the baking soda mixture with a soft sponge or rag. Repeat, if necessary.

See the best slow-cooker recipes.

COMMENTS

1. jan hunter

What does this comment have to do with cleaning a crockpot?

August 22, 2013 at 8:30 pm
  2. Melanie

Another handy option are slow cooker liners. They’re single use bags, usually sold in the food storage area (e.g. ziplocs, aluminum foil, etc.) of your grocery store. I use those whenever I can and then just toss the bag after cooking. They’re somewhat permeable, so you’ll still need to wash your cooker, but you don’t get the dried cooked bits on the side. Oh, and make sure you buy a slow cooker that has a removable stoneware insert that can be put into the dishwasher, not one that doesn’t disassemble. Made that mistake with the first one I bought.

August 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm
  3. Not a chemist

I hate cooking in plastic. I would much rather wash the crock than have chemicals leech into my food.

August 29, 2013 at 12:13 am
  4. Patti

For super easy clean up, put a dryer sheet in any pot with stubborn caked food, fill it with hot, soapy water and let it sit for an hour or two (or overnight). It will clean up like magic. Works every time.

August 29, 2013 at 4:14 am
  5. judithcausey@hotmail.com

My crockpot outside cooker, the part with the cord, says no water. But my soup overflow leaked into it & now is a burned, disgusting mess. If I could use water, it would be a lot easier

September 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm
  6. Bamagirl15

This worked for me — took a little time, but the end result was well worth it! http://www.ehow.com/how_5562337_clean-rival-crock-pots.html

January 1, 2014 at 5:52 pm
  7. Samantha M

Just did a quick web search to find some idea of how to easily clean up my crockpot and this was the first thing I saw. It works astonishinging well! This is the first time I have ever used baking soda to clean anything and I was very impressed. Also my first time using a crockpot and it was a hand me down that needed a good cleaning. Overall this was very helpful! Thank you!

December 11, 2014 at 2:45 am
  8. Val

Hey Judith, I got my crockpot from a thrift store for $3 because someone had overfilled it just as you describe. It says in the bottom do not *immerse* in water. They mean the cord and electrical elements. I just used steel wool and a little soapy water in the bottom. It cleaned up fine. Works great!

December 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm