How to Fake Buttermilk

August 16, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

Butter Milk

Want to make pancakes tomorrow morning? No buttermilk in sight? Here are two easy substitutions:

lemon and milk: Place 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Add whole milk (low-fat versions are too thin) to reach the amount of buttermilk called for; stir and set aside for 5 minutes.

yogurt and milk: Whisk together 3 parts plain yogurt and 1 part milk for the desired amount of buttermilk. (For example, for 1 cup buttermilk, use ¾ cup yogurt and ¼ cup milk.)

Now make those pancakes! This blueberry cornmeal pancake recipe will please your whole crew.

COMMENTS

1. Stephanie

A ratio of 3/4 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of white or red wine vinegar works great, too!

August 16, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  2. Jen

I buy a package of powdered buttermilk that I keep in the fridge. Just mix the dry buttermilk with water to reach the amount of buttermilk you need. Easier than buying real buttermilk and something that’d always be on hand. I don’t have vinegar, milk (especially not whole milk), yogurt, lemons for fresh lemon juice, etc. on hand. The only milk I buy is when I need it to cook with. Otherwise, not in my apartment.

August 19, 2013 at 9:26 am
  3. Susan J. Hass

Jen, do you keep powdered dry milk on hand? I find that comes in handy when a recipe calls for milk and I either don’t have any, or don’t want to use what I have left in the frig.

August 20, 2013 at 2:37 pm
  4. Jen

In the pantry! I use it for macaroni and cheese or casseroles. I’ll only buy fresh milk for when using it for baking since I don’t want to risk the results when baking (I cook for myself only, but I bake to share)

August 21, 2013 at 7:55 am
  5. B Gallup

Does anybody know of any non-dairy options?

August 21, 2013 at 12:13 pm
  6. R. Andrijasevic

We learned this trick in Home Ec in 7th grade.

August 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm