How to Remove Mildew Smell From Towels

August 14, 2013 | By | Comments (12)

towel storage

There’s nothing worse than stepping out of a refreshing shower and drying off with a musty towel. To ensure your towels are fresh and clean, cleaning expert Anna Moseley recommends adding a half cup of baking soda (like Arm & Hammer) to the rinse cycle of your next load of towels. The baking soda helps absorb and remove the dank smell, rather than simply masking it.

See more laundry tips and tricks.

COMMENTS

1. Events by L
    August 15, 2013 at 12:22 am
  2. Skipping Stars Productions LLC

Reblogged this on Chute the Laundry.

August 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  3. Not a chemist

I use vinegar in my rinse cycle, because my daughter has a sensitivity to fabric softeners. Won’t adding baking soda as well cause an explosion?

August 20, 2013 at 12:22 pm
  4. kathybutler (@kathybutler)

Adding 1 cup white vinegar to the wash cycle with Laundry soap also works.

August 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm
  5. Fran Williams

How do I add baking soda in the rinse cycle of a front loader washing machine?

August 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm
  6. Lisa

I am wondering the same thing…..how does this work with a front loader?

August 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  7. Marylou

put it in the drawer where the water will rinse it into the laundry

August 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm
  8. snerrigreen

Fran, I like Kathy – use a cup of white vinegar with my front loader. Not only does it remove the mustiness from the towels, it helps handle the mustiness of the front loader. I also leave the door open, and take the detergent/softener/bleach drawer out and leave it on the top of the machine. I love the efficiency of front loaders, but not sure I’ll buy another front-load washer.

August 20, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  9. Leta

you can add baking soda on a front loader if u put it in with the clothes but I use white vinegar in place of fabric softener.

August 20, 2013 at 11:20 pm
  10. Julie

I agree with snerrigreen -my washing has never smelt
    nice since I got a front-loader so won’t be buying another one.

August 22, 2013 at 5:52 am
  11. Rob

When it is not in use, prop the front loader’s door open to allow it to dry and prevent the mustiness in the machine itself

August 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm
  12. Donna

Front load washerss-dry all the water around the seal. I place a folded handtowel into the wettest place. Place a small fan in the open door for several hrs. I also remove the entire detergent tray & drain all the water. Leave it out of machine til next use. Sometimes I spray vinegar/water solution into the hole where the detergent tray goes. You’ll notice lots of mold in there. This helps. Also run a vinegar cycle frequently

August 23, 2013 at 11:18 pm