Clean Bathroom Tiles, Walls and Ceilings

August 13, 2013 | By | Comments (20)

bathroom

The pedestal sink, the tub and the toilet are old hat. But do you really know how to clean the rest of the bathroom—namely the tiles all over the walls, the paint around the tiles—and yes, the ceiling?

Here’s what to do: Every few months, spray tile, counter-tops, walls, and the ceiling with all-purpose cleaner and turn on the shower, cranking the hot water until steam builds (about five minutes). Turn off the water, shut the door on your way out, and let the steam and the cleaner mix for 20 minutes. Then wipe down all surfaces with a clean cloth. To reach high spots, use a clean, dry microfiber mop. Wipe the tile floor, too, but only after you’ve finished the rest of the dirty work.

And to keep your tiles looking sparkly clean (and devoid of water spots), apply a coat of car wax to them once a year. Water will bead up and roll off.

Check out our favorite bathroom cleaning products.

COMMENTS

1. boomdava

Reblogged this on boomdava and commented:
    Love the waxing idea, definitely trying!

August 13, 2013 at 10:24 am
  2. jan hunter

Be careful of using car wax on floor tiles as it makes the floor slick hence a potential fall risk.

August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am
  3. PigLove

Excellent advice! We are so doing that here at the Hotel Thompson. I know daddy will be happy – he always gets the bathroom to clean. Snorts. XOXO – Bacon

August 13, 2013 at 11:25 am
  4. Laura Lindeman (@lclindeman)

What if you have a tub and shower curtain (and thus no door to close)?

August 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  5. Julia Edelstein

Hi Laura! Good question. I meant the door to your bathroom—not your shower door.

August 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  6. Rita

Sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions on whitening the shower/tub??

August 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm
  7. Sandra

My shower room has no door. In fact, the only doors in my home are front and side doors. All open plan. What must I do?

August 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm
  8. idealtile

Excellent advice, this is the best thought by Julia Edelstein

August 17, 2013 at 5:59 am
  9. kmchasse

Also found the the Mr Clean erasers do an amazing job on soap scum on glass shower doors. :) Don’t even need spray cleaner.

August 19, 2013 at 2:43 pm
  10. Julia Edelstein

Hi Rita, to whiten the tub, fill it with hot water, then drain. Apply a bathroom cleaner and let sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing. Try to do this once a week! Sandra, not sure what to do—haven’t encountered a bathroom without a door before! I would probably try the same process (spray down the surfaces and let the cleaner soak in) but without the steam.

August 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm
  11. Christine

Great advice, I have been doing somehing similar in my enclosed shower, after a shower while there is still some moisture I spray down the entire shower including the glass surround with the scrubbing bubbles cleaner, the next time the shower is turned on it washes down all the cleaner (turn on a minute or two before entering) it’s amazing how clean it is. I’m going to try the whole bathroom with steam next. Thanks for the great tip.

August 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm
  12. Abzolut

Stash your toothbrushes before you go spraying cleaner overhead! :)

August 19, 2013 at 11:52 pm
  13. Angela

Use RainX on your glass shower enclosure. Same result as the car wax on tile – water beads up and rolls off. Really cuts down on the water spots and soap scum.

August 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm
  14. Abzolut

I did this the other day (without cleaner) and had a TERRIBLE fall. Be careful. If you have a tiled floor, it will be very slippery just from the condensation.

August 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm
  15. Tiles

Thanks for the tips! It’s not easy to clean bathroom tiles. I Have remodelled my bathroom wit Roca Tiles, and I would like to maintain it.

Avina

August 27, 2013 at 4:18 am
  16. wall tiles

Also nice decoration I like this decoration.This post is so helpful.Many many thanks for your nice decoration.

November 3, 2013 at 1:37 am
  17. liquid glass tiles

Hi there, this weekend is pleasant designd for me, as this moment i am reading this great educational article
    here at myy home.

November 18, 2013 at 10:57 am
  18. steam shower tub

Nice steam showers, my family had one of these installed approximately five years ago and so it could well do with upgrading, never get a mundane old traditional type of shower ever again

February 3, 2014 at 10:13 am
  19. http://www.reviewsteamshower.com

Never before heard of a steam shower enclosure until I stumbled upon
    this site, so thankful I did so want to have one right
    away and finance allowing will probably be purchasing one soon enough

February 19, 2014 at 3:37 am
  20. amalfitiles

Great publish Without a doubt. Many thanks pertaining to sharing.

February 28, 2014 at 4:51 am