Wednesday Trivia: Do You Like Your Guy’s Shoes?

August 7, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

men's shoes

Here’s some funny—and only a little surprising—news about men’s shoes. For the most part, women don’t like them. According to a new study from shoe retailer Allen Edmonds, approximately 65 percent of women insist their husbands/boyfriends change their shoes before they go out on a date or to a party. (I know I’m guilty of this!) Apparently, women place a lot more stock in the look of a man’s shoes than he does. Overall, way more women than men felt that his shoes were a reflection on his style, personality, economic status, and ability to pay attention to details.

What bothers you most about your husband or boyfriend’s shoes? As for me: I just can’t stand men’s white sneakers. Why do they exist? They look terrible with everything.  (Yes, yes, I know: They’re comfortable.) Share your thoughts in the comments.

And by the way, the photo features a handy little new use: Place dryer sheets in men’s shoes to make them a little less smelly. (Alas, they won’t make the shoes more attractive.)

COMMENTS

1. Kristina

My mom hates my dad’s “clod-hopper” shoes (they’re like chunky loafers, especially because he likes to wear them with shorts in the summer. I agree about men’s white sneakers…alas, mine are mostly white.

August 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm
  2. functionallyfrivolous

Haha this is a great question! It seems like guys get away with ignoring their shoes, and just wearing anything. Luckily it hasn’t been too much of an issue with my guy (unless he tried to pair black and brown).

August 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm
  3. Julia Edelstein

Kristina, my husband has tried to wear shorts with shoes too…why does it always look so wrong? Sandals seem to be the only solution.

August 8, 2013 at 11:18 am
  4. Steph Makes Stuff

The style of shoe isn’t the main problem in our house. It’s the colors! He thinks brown works when he should be using black. On the rare occasion, he does wear tennis shoes with shorts or slacks! How did so many men get away with this for so long? ;)

August 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  5. patisseriebledfrederic.fr

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not
    sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions?
    Appreciate it

October 24, 2013 at 2:11 am
  6. Anto

Shoes are not the best footwear when us men wear shorts, especially the socks, I think sandals usually look better and are also comfier, in such outfits and weather.
    I really don’t like flip flops personally, though, i hat having anything between toes, but I also guess they are not the most elegant model of sandals. I prefer them in leather and buckles, some suggestion?
    It’s curious as it’s the opposite as commonly thought, shorts and the accompanying footwear choice is actually trickier for men than woman, which can pair them with all kind of shoes, men should realize it and never overlook crafting a personal style in their outfit thinking they are the laid down sex, haha. I realized there are that many model of sandals so it’s difficult to find my favourite ones.

July 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm