An Easy Way To Get Yourself to Eat Less

July 19, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

scale

If you’re trying to lose weight this summer (or maybe just shed the couple of pounds that barbecue season always seems to pack on…), here’s a tip: Try thinking back on what you had for lunch when you sit down for dinner. Research shows that you’ll consume 10 percent less than you normally would. You see, unless we make a deliberate effort to stew over what we’ve previously consumed, our bains (and stomachs) dismiss that information and signal us to gobble up more than we need. The challenge to this trick is remembering to, well, remember what you ate earlier. To trigger a flashback, try keeping a food journal or even keeping old food wrappers (like the brown bag from your midday sandwich) in plain sight. It’s not a pretty sight (we know!), but a quick glance at it might just get you to reminisce about that turkey on rye rather than make yourself another one.

Check out more weight loss tips.

COMMENTS

1. Events by L

Great suggestion! Nutritionists like to advise people to create a food journal or diary and track everything consumed for the day. If you think back to grade school or high school even, you may have had assignments that incorporated the same elements of tracking what you ate for a period of time, I know I did, a few times. The results were always consistent. FAIL! I was never able to keep track of each item I had eaten and would end up creating false items to accommodate the ones I had forgotten.

We are far to busy to keep track of everything we consume therefore creating a daily journal of the foods you consume only lead to flawed results due to inaccuracies. This idea makes far more sense to me.

July 20, 2013 at 1:29 am
  2. Events by L

Reblogged this on EventsbyL and commented:

July 20, 2013 at 1:30 am
  3. Melissa Arcelia

Lovely to have the whole research note on the link!

July 20, 2013 at 4:59 am
  4. Judy

Keeping a journal is the key factor to Weight Watchers success.

July 21, 2013 at 3:12 pm
  5. nancyducidenofio

Perfect, simple like your magazine title, but I must mention – remember those children in school who were asked to write the same word one hundred times to let the word – sink into their head? This is great for some, but writing a word brings it to life, which in turn, creates a trip to the market. I guess I better keep all the details in my journal on my writing, not dieting. Yes, telling your mind over and over does benefit some – while others drift onto something else – known as a cabinet, frig, market – or their journal becomes the nights market list of things missing. Nice article, thank you for sharing. Sincerely, Nancy

July 23, 2013 at 11:55 am
  6. anonymouse

cool! i already write down what i eat so this would be a minor thing to add, awesome :) trying this today!!!

July 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  7. Stella

I always pooh-poohed the idea of a journal or writing things down, but recently I joined MyFitnessPal, which makes it a lot easier to log your daily intake online. They have a huge database that will calculate the calories for you. So far it is really keeping me on track.

July 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm
  8. Gail Grooms

I keep track with the camera on my phone. I snap what I am about to eat and review before each meal.

July 30, 2013 at 10:56 pm