How to Thin Out Nail Polish

July 18, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

pink nail polish

When your favorite nail polish starts to get thick and clumpy, don’t toss the bottle. Prolong the color’s shelf life by adding a few drops of clear polish. A bit of nail polish remover will also work, but the clear polish will thin the formula without separating it, thus creating a smoother, less streaky result.

See more beauty-related tips and tricks.

COMMENTS

1. Ultimate Skincare & Beaute Report
    July 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm
  2. Eva

Nail polish companies that sell nail polish thinners give you just a little bottle of it for a big price. Instead, go to your hardware store and buy a small tin (500 ml or 2 cups) of lacquer thinner in the paint dept. for about 5 bucks. Take the cap off and dip a narrow straw in the tin, then cover the top of the straw with your thumb to hold the fluid to drop into a smaller glass bottle for storage and easier use. Use same method with straw to drop thinner into nail polish bottles. Avoid contact with skin.

September 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm
  3. RIta

This worked perfectly for me and I didn’t have to leave my house or purchase anything. Thank you!!!!

February 13, 2014 at 10:05 pm
  4. Anna B

Eva you are awesome. That’s brilliant since the clear nail polish trick didn’t work well for me. It made my already sheer pink almost invisible once I added enough to make it workable.

May 9, 2014 at 11:50 pm
  5. Katy

Eva, you saved every old nail polish I own!

June 17, 2014 at 1:44 am
  6. Virginia

Wouldn’t the lacquer thinner be harmful?

June 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm
  7. Grcae

I believe lacquer thinner would dry out your nails.

July 6, 2014 at 11:05 am
  8. Melody

I was very skeptical when I read using clear nail polish as a thinner. I am a believer! It worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

August 2, 2014 at 9:01 am