Test Your Beach IQ!

June 25, 2013 | By | Comments (12)

Before you grab your towel and sunblock and head out the door, check to see if you know the answers to these questions.

Test Your Beach IQ

1. What will help you remove sticky sand from your body the fastest?
a) A paper towel
b) A washcloth
c) Baby powder
d) A soft-bristled brush

2. How much sunscreen does it take to cover your whole body?
a) 1 tablespoon
b) 1 ounce
c) 1/4 cup
d) 1/2 cup

3. After you eat, how long should you wait before you go swimming?
a) 30 minutes
b) An hour
c) 2 hours
d) You don’t have to wait.

Ready for the answers?

1. Baby powder: The trick here is that baby powder helps dry your skin. Once that extra moisture is absorbed, the grains of sand have nothing left to stick to, and will brush off easily. Add a travel-size container to your beach bag, and get two more beach shortcuts here.

2. 1 Ounce: A little goes along way when you’re applying sunscreen, as it only takes as much as will fill a shot glass to cover your whole body. You’ll need another pea-size serving to protect your face as well. And remember to apply every two to four hours depending on how fair your skin is and how often you’re in the water. Get more sunscreen tips.

3. 30 Minutes: Unless you’ve eaten a feast fit for kings, it only takes about half-an-hour for food to start emptying from your stomach, making it safe to get back in the water. If you’re going to be doing a swimming workout or laps, wait a bit longer.

Don’t forget to sign up for our summer newsletter!

COMMENTS

1. Tara

What is the reason for letting food empty from your stomach before going swimming? From the research I’ve seen that thought is an old wive’s tale.

June 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  2. Ultimate Skincare & Beaute Report
    June 26, 2013 at 1:30 am
  3. Lisa

You have ‘one hour’ highlighted as the correct answer, but in the detailed explanation, it says half an hour.

July 6, 2013 at 6:19 am
  4. Anne Ross

This is strange the questions are the same but the multiple choice answers are different than my magazine.

July 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm
  5. Uzma

Get a gadget for your website or blog. Just get a code and paste into your website and enjoy service. visit http://www.compprog.com/2013/07/get-messages-from-your-visitors-through.html to get gadget.

July 11, 2013 at 8:19 am
  6. Majorlove

Why are the answers different in the magazine?

July 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  7. Tracey

Waste of time. At least make the magazine and web page match. Or here’s a thought…. Put the answers in the magazine like the old days.

July 18, 2013 at 2:11 am
  8. Sue B.

Your magazine is entitled Real Simple. For those of us who choose to keep life simple by not owning a “smart phone”, do us a favor and continue to provide the information needed in your magazine without having to scan, download or get to a computer. I have no problem with giving readers the option to utilize their technology, but please continue to provide the answers in the actual magazine for the rest of us.

July 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm
  9. Sara

Looks like there are some kinks to be worked out. It should be consistent to the magazine and I agree, put the answers in the magazine..people pay good money to read Real Simple. If you want to have a Digimarc Real Simple magazine for people who have smart phones then I can see how that makes sense, but you are excluding some of the population this way. Not everyone has a smart phone and this is coming from a girl who has one but sometimesI prefer to just have the magazine in front of me. Especially if I am travelling and may not have access to my phone.

July 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  10. Jill

I totally agree the answers should be in the magazine I don’t own a smart phone

July 28, 2013 at 1:44 am
  11. Pat Centeno

I discontinued using my smart cellphone to SIMPLIFY my life. But I do have an iPad app to make a call as needed.

July 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm
  12. Gloria

Are you guys serious? It is one page out of the whole magazine titled ” worth sharing monthly status updates from across the WEB!”

August 14, 2013 at 3:18 pm