How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

June 11, 2013 | By | Comments (9)

Kitchen

Once fruit flies have descended upon your space, they can be extremely difficult to get rid of. Follow these tips to keep the pesky bugs out of your kitchen for good.

- Start by putting all ripened fruit or vegetables like onions, tomatoes, and potatoes in the refrigerator and cleaning recycling bins that hold empty bottles and cans to eliminate the sources of attraction and breeding.

- Set fruit fly traps by forming a cone-shaped funnel with an 8-by-10-inch piece of paper, sealing it with tape, and placing it in a clean jar or wine bottle. Place a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or a slice of ripe banana in the jar to attract flies. The bugs will be able to fly in, but won’t be able to fly out. After you trap all visible flies, kill them with spray or release them outside. Rebait and replace traps, if necessary.

See more solutions to pesky bug problems.

COMMENTS

1. jP

Another good way to get rid of fruit flies is to get rid of the offending fruit etc that attract the fruit flies, then full a short glass with 1/4″ of dish soap, then pour in about an inch of red wine vinegar. Fruit flies love it and once the get into the mixture they can’t get out (dish soap must make it possible for them to fly out).

June 11, 2013 at 11:51 pm
  2. James Paul

Awesome tips you guys, thanks.

June 12, 2013 at 9:41 am
  3. kd

I take a short glass and put some kind of fruit inside it, like half an orange, add about an inch of apple cider vinegar, then cover with plastic wrap. Tie it off with a hair tie or rubber band and poke a few holes in the plastic with a fork. Leave the whole mess out where the flies like to gather and in just a couple of days, nearly all of them will be stuck inside the glass. You can either release them outside or drown them in the sink, but they will start to breed and lay eggs in the glass if you ignore it for a week or more.

This ALWAYS works for me. If it doesn’t for you, try moving the glass to a different area, making more than one trap, or changing the type of fruit you use as bait. Who’s to say fruit flies can’t be picky?

June 12, 2013 at 10:21 am
  4. Jennifer

I really detest having fruit flies in the kitchen, but I don’t find it that helpful to read that I should put my onions, potatoes and tomatoes in the refrigerator. Bleck! To my tastebuds, the consistency of a refrigerated tomato is distinctly unappealing. Same for mangoes, bananas, pears and avocados. I will try the other tip, though.

June 13, 2013 at 12:35 am
  5. ctina

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
    Place 1/3 c acv in wine bottle, add paper funnel, sit back and watch!
    If you warm the acv first, about 15 s in the microwave, the scent is intensified

June 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm
  6. Eemma01

I don’t like refrigerating fruit or tomatoes – it seems to lessen the flavor too much to me – and would *never* refrigerate onions – it makes them too sweet to me. In addition to cleaning areas fruit flies can breed listed above, I put a splash of bleach in the sink drain at night. I was once told that they will go into drains and lay eggs and the bleach routine seems to help get rid of them.

June 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm
  7. leslieculhane

I stored our tomatoes and other fruit in the microwave while using the vinegar trap. It worked well – I was careful to only put new fruit in, not using fruit that may have had eggs on them.

June 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm
  8. Chloe Rodgers

We need to make this fly trap for the Flock and Rally office! Although I can’t complain about always having food and fresh fruit around…

June 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm
  9. buy bitcoin with gift card

Link exchange is nothing else but it is only placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at
    proper place and other person will also do same in favor of you.

May 19, 2014 at 9:07 pm