Don’t Make This Mistake When Blow-Drying Your Hair

May 31, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

Woman blow drying her hair

It’s tempting to hit the snooze button a few times, hop in the shower, and then quickly blow-dry your soaking wet tresses before running out the door, but you could be causing damage to otherwise healthy hair. Wet hair not only takes longer to style, but dripping locks are more elastic and, therefore, more prone to breakage from the tug of the brush.

Instead of hitting your hair with heat as soon as you step out of the shower, start by taking the nozzle off of your dryer, flipping your head over, and blowing your hair around just enough to get rid of excess water. Then, let hair air dry while you put on your makeup and get dressed. When hair is about 80 percent dry, you can start styling (if you’re hair is coarse, curly, or dry, air-dry by only 25-50 percent to avoid introducing any frizz).

See more quick tips for healthy hair.

COMMENTS

1. allydavis2013

Great blow-drying tips! I think you may like our website as it has similar topics!! http://signature26.com/

May 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm
  2. kristentoneycampbell

Glad to know I’m doing it right! (Although I only do it like that so I don’t get hot, ha!)

May 31, 2013 at 9:06 pm
  3. Julie

i use one of the hair turbans from Bed Bath Beyond. Microfiber and soaks up alot of the water in my long hair.

June 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm
  4. Becky

Then why does my stylist turn the blowdryer on so early? It’s not soaking wet but it’s not 80% dry either.

June 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm
  5. shalilah2002

Thanks. You’ve answered my problem.

June 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm
  6. Nina Patricia

That’s the one thing I always follow, I never blow dry with wet hair, I let it air dry for at least 30-45 min then style.

June 10, 2013 at 6:24 pm