4 Spring Closet Cleaning Tips

Closet makeover

If you’ve been bitten by the spring clean-out bug, here are a few tips to make tackling your closet much easier.

1. Only keep multiples if you wear them. White tanks, black cardigans, these are okay to keep in multiples because they are versatile, but two nearly identical red silk tops—you don’t need both.

2. Hang like items together. Think about it like Cher’s Closet in Clueless: Each outfit is a puzzle and you need to pick from different sections (pants or skirts, tops and sweaters, jackets, accessories) to put something together. You should also hang items by color from dark to light so you can easily find what you’re looking for.

3. Break up separates. If you have suits or other coordinated pieces don’t hang the individual pieces together. By visually separating the pants from the jacket it will be easier to see how those items can work with other pieces in your wardrobe and expand your outfit options without spending a dime.

4. If you haven’t worn it, donate it. Commonly, the rule is six months.  If you haven’t worn something in your closet in that amount of time, it’s unlikely that you will. So donate it to charity or have a garage sale. We have tips for doing both: Donate It or Ditch It? and 7 Tips for a Successful Garage Sale.

COMMENTS

1. M&M
    May 4, 2013 at 11:41 am
  2. shalilah2002

I just bought a suit because I like and needed the jacket. There are so many other things in my closet that I’m going to wear with it I doubt that I’ll ever wear the skirt it came with with it.

May 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  3. soncee

Boy do I wish my closet could look like that!

May 7, 2013 at 12:11 pm
  4. lifemanagementpros@earthlink.net

If only my jewelry could be that neat. As you spring clean your closet check this out…http://www.scribd.com/doc/93110246/10-Items-Style

May 7, 2013 at 12:39 pm
  5. Spring Cleaners Hemel Hempstead

Ha, talking about spring clean music, nothing better than Tom Sawyer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA N-joy!

May 13, 2013 at 4:13 am
  6. CaliGirl

I don’t like the 6 month rule, Winter clothes aren’t going to be worn in summer, so…. I think a 12 month rule works better. And I like the idea of starting all the hangers backwards and then when you wear something you put the hanger back the right way. That way you can easily see what you wear and what you don’t.

May 16, 2013 at 11:59 am
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byS0vL1B078

Your energy levels have a lot to do with what you eat.
    Warriors would often subsist on chia alone
    while on campaigns or conquests. Suffering from fatigue and some days with depression, I could certainly use an energy
    boost and elevated mood.

July 6, 2013 at 9:28 am
  8. Noemi

Dental Implants are actually 1 of the healthiest ways to replace
    lacking pearly whites’. Most of us are good about brushing each morning, but not nearly as many people choose to brush at night. When you want to eat something between meals, try to avoid sugary snacks.

July 6, 2013 at 6:21 pm
  9. QC

A person meet a person and you just fall in love and that’s this. “Why would I make one woman so miserable when I can make so many women very happy. Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.

July 13, 2013 at 3:23 am
  10. goodhomes6

I agree with you, And also good blog, keep it up.

August 27, 2013 at 2:08 am
  11. goodhomes6

I agree with you, And also good blog, keep it up.

August 27, 2013 at 2:08 am
  12. Charlot

4 great tips! I’m thinking to renovate and organize our home especially our closet. Least I got this info. Thanks!

Cha @ http://www.starmaxonline.com.au/

October 25, 2013 at 9:03 am
  13. Alex Stevenson

This is a really great idea. I also organize my cloths by colors and hang them. This way you are able to find every item quickly and easily. You will also never forget the older cloths in your closet…
    When I work in a domestic cleaning company in London – http://domesticcleaners.co.uk/ , I learned a lot of about organizing people’s closets, wаrdrobes and cupboards. One of the most important part were the colors of the clothes and the seasons when you can wear them.

November 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm
  14. social media marketing consultant

Attractive section of content. I just sttumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually
    enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to
    your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

September 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm