How to Serve the Perfect Amount of Pasta

April 30, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

new use for a soda bottle

The serving size on boxes of spaghetti can be a bit ambiguous. How many people will two ounces serve and how do you easily measure two ounces anyway? If you’re constantly guessing how much pasta to cook and then packing away the leftovers, this surprising household item may make pasta night a little easier.

Whether feeding one or a family of four, ensure you have just the right amount by filling the opening of an empty 20-ounce soda or water bottle with uncooked spaghetti. Each bottle fits just enough uncooked pasta for a hearty single serving. Bon appétit!

See more new uses for recyclable items.

COMMENTS

1. The Confirmation Files

Reblogged this on Immaculate Conceptions.

May 1, 2013 at 8:57 am
  2. jlo

Can you fix the title? “How to Serve the Perfect Amount of SPAGHETTI”. Pasta is more than just spaghetti. I clicked on this thinking you were giving information on different kinds of pasta, not just one. It would also be nice to know if this trick you gave works with other kinds of long pasta, like fettucini.

May 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm
  3. Suzy

My tip is very simple. For long pasta, I grab as much as my fist will hold and that amount will serve about 4 people. Is it enough? If you are not sure make the whole package. I put leftover pasta in a baggie or air tight container in the regrigerator to use for lunch, a side dish or a midnight snack. Pasta also freezes well. I just pull it out of the freezer and add as much as needed to a pan of boiling water. Heat just long enough to ensure the pasta is hot. This only takes about 30 seconds to a minute. I have also reheated my pasta in the microwave with about a tablespoon of water for the same amount of time (depends on how many watts your microwave is). Refrigeration and freezing can dry pasta out so be sure to add about a tablespoon of water. (Note: Dried pasta is generally sold in boxes made of paper. This absorbs any moisture in the air to preserve freshness. This is most important in humid climates. If pasta is stored in glass, the glass may “sweat” or retain moisture as the temperature of your kitchen changes. If this occurs, the pasta may cease to be fresh and lose its flavor.)

May 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm
  4. Fred

Put the tip of your index finger in the 1st joint of your thumb, making a circle. This is appx. 1 serving of “long-strand” pasta, whether it’s Spaghetti, Linguine, Fettuccine, Angel Hair, or other strand-type pastas. Obviously, YMMV based on finger lengths and such. Touching the tips of your thumb and index finger is appx. 2 servings, btw. Thanks Grandmama!

May 11, 2013 at 10:35 am
  5. Judith Siess

rice also freezes well. reheat with c. 1 T of water for 2 min.

May 11, 2013 at 11:54 am
  6. Propagatrix

I use my wedding ring to measure a single serving of dry spaghetti.

November 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm
  7. Liz Pratt

I need to know how much sauce to make for penne to serve 65 people

November 27, 2013 at 8:37 am
  8. Tim

Brigitt, thank you for the tip.

October 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm