Wednesday Trivia: Managing Stress

April 24, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

Hammock Relaxation

According to the “Stress in America” report released by the American Psychological Association, one in four women say they are not doing enough to manage their stress. April is Stress Awareness Month, so here’s one thing you can do to diminish anxiety: Put away the newspaper. A recent study by researchers from the University of Montreal showed that reading negative stories (like news about violent crime) significantly increases women’s stress levels. (It also showed that grim articles don’t affect most men as much as they affect women.) Researchers believe the gender divide has its roots in evolutionary factors. That is, women have an innate interest in the survival of their offspring, making them more sensitive to potentially threatening situations.

Looking for other ways to minimize day-to-day anxiety? Start with our “Less Stress Checklist.”

COMMENTS

1. D

As a writer, I have trouble turning off my imagination at night. So I decided to make it work FOR me in getting to sleep.

I imagine a favorite character from a book, coming home and going through her evening rituals. By the time she’s ready to climb in between her soft, clean white sheets, dried in the summer breeze, I’m already asleep.

April 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm
  2. DixieSwanson1

As a writer, I have trouble turing off my imagination at night. So I decided to make it work for me in getting to sleep.

I imagine a favorite character from a book, coming home and going through her evening rituals. By the time she’s ready to climb in between her soft, clean, white sheets dried in the summer breeze, I’m already asleep.

April 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  3. Phyllis S

I think this applies to TV news as well. I notice my stress/anxiety levels skyrocket when I watch the news. Part of it is the frustration that it is mostly bad and I can’t do anything about it anyhow.

April 25, 2013 at 11:31 am
  4. DixieSwanson1

News “fasts” are an excellent way to reduce anxiety. With so much horrible happening in the world, taking a day or so and keeping it out of your house can make you feel better. Before television, awful things happened all the time — it just took us longer to learn about them, thus they seemed more removed.
    Dixie Swanson

April 25, 2013 at 8:31 pm
  5. Levela Skin Care

Thanks , I’ve recently been looking for info approximately this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon so far.

However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you
    sure in regards to the source?

May 2, 2013 at 12:55 am
  6. moving truck,

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely
    off topic but I had to tell someone!

May 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm