What’s Your BBQ IQ?

April 23, 2013 | By | Comments (27)

Outdoor party tips

Before you fire up the grill for your next summer party, see if you can answer these questions before looking at the answers below.

1. Besides citronella, what else can keep mosquitoes away?
a) Garlic
b) Electric fans
c) Lemon dish soap
d) Watering the lawn

2. What often overlooked detail should go on your barbecue invitation?
a) The time the food will be served
b) The time the party ends
c) What guests should bring
d) A reminder for guests to wear their dancing shoes

3. Which common household item can you use to clean the grill?
a) Dryer sheets
b) Newspaper
c) Orange peel
d) Aluminum foil

Okay, ready for the answers?

1. Electric fans: Because mosquitoes are weak fliers, even a fan set on low will help keep them away from your party. Set up a box fan or two around the edge of your patio and a smaller fan near the food table. Get more mosquito repelling tips.

2. The time the food will be served: Most invitations list a start and end time (if there is one), but it’s important to let guests know when dinner or snacks will be served. If you’re not putting out the food until later in the party attendees can prepare ahead of time with a snack. More tips on what to put on the invite.

3. Alumnium foil: It’s one of our favorite multi-taskers. Simply wad up a piece of aluminum foil and while gripping it with a pair of tongs use it to remove food that stuck on the grill grate. See more new uses for aluminum foil.

How’d you do? Get more outdoor party tips here, and share your best spring and summer entertaining advice in the comments.

COMMENTS

1. C fletch

Super cool code reader! Thanks Real Simple!

May 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm
  2. K. Schroeder

I hate having to come to the computer to get the answers. If I am reading my magazine I am usually not near the computer. Coming for more info is one thing but for answers is obnoxious.

May 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm
  3. ruth

I agree. Having to look up answers online is annoying. Theres better ways of getting readers to look at your website. And, my husband thinks your wrong about garlic.

May 10, 2013 at 9:10 am
  4. Nan

Also agree- It’s cumbersome and annoying to have to go someplace else for the rest of the magazine’s article. You’ve failed this one, Real Simple.

May 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm
  5. Ksdk

I also agree, I didn’t realize I could look at a website – I downloaded a ridiculous app to my phone just to scan an image just to find out the quiz info. What’s wrong with the upside down words at the bottom of the page!
    Now I can waste more time by deleting the app… Waste of data and time.

May 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm
  6. Ali

Tips? Love em. Having to put down my magazine to find em? Lame.

May 11, 2013 at 11:34 pm
  7. Cheyenne

Gosh I thought the scanning app was cool and I didn’t mind because I had my phone on me anyway! Besides this page was all tech stuff- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram- I thought it fit. Keep experimenting RS!

May 13, 2013 at 8:50 am
  8. bernis wagner

When I’m reading my magazine, I’m not near my computer. I’m in bed, camping, or out on my deck. Have the answers on back page or someplace in magazine. I want to know answers now..

May 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm
  9. Lesley

Tried this once, won’t scan in the future. It’s cumbersome
    And annoying. RS is a dumb idea

May 14, 2013 at 12:37 am
  10. Carrie

Annoying to have to pull my phone out to find the answers. I was just in the middle of a relaxing magazine session!

May 15, 2013 at 9:19 am
  11. Janet

I love my RS magazine. I don’t like reading to go to an electronic device to find the answers or more information on a quiz or a product. I have the magazine-just give me the info there. If I’m out reading on the deck, this can get annoying.

May 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm
  12. Carolyn Maloney

I agree. It was annoying to have to go to my computer to get the answers.

May 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm
  13. SMF

What a bunch of whiners!
    It was really THAT much trouble for you to go to your computer or download an app?!
    I’ve had the app downloaded for a few issues and I think the digital interaction is fun!
    Don’t let the haters bring you down, Real Simple.

May 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm
  14. Stacey

I agree with the majority here—annoying to lookup electronically. Perhaps something not considered…not everyone has internet access or will access it…my mother would JUST QUIT BUYING YOUR MAGAZINE INSTEAD…have the editors considered this?

May 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm
  15. Barbara glade

I totally agree — a real pain to have to stop and look up answers!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm
  16. Lynn

Definitely agree with other readers. Please put the answers somewhere in the magazine.

May 23, 2013 at 12:35 am
  17. Elizabeth

The quiz appeared on the technology page, so it makes sense that RS asked readers to scan the grill for answers. However, is it that difficult to publish the answers in the magazine? Even though this is 2013, everyone doesn’t own a smartphone, much less a computer. Obviously, I took the time to log onto my computer. However, if I had been reading this in bed, or at the pool, or at the beach, then getting on my laptop would have been one step I wouldn’t take. Take a hint from your name, keep it “Real Simple” for everyone.

May 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm
  18. Linda White

I agree with the “whiners”. I don’t want to have to use my phone or computer for answers to magazine quizzes. Just print the answers.

May 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm
  19. Sandy

I was annoyed to have to take the time to go into another room the boot up my computer to and go on your website to find the answers to the questions. I don’t have a smart phone. Please put the answers in the magazine itself. Thanks.

June 2, 2013 at 9:31 am
  20. Content publisher chick

Downloading the app wasn’t the annoying part, but landing on a typical web page (not optimized for mobile) is annoying. You’re on the right track but need a better solution to link your “print to mobile” content.

June 2, 2013 at 11:06 am
  21. Ann

It’s rather silly not to put the answers in the magazine. The reason I purchased the magazine was so I don’t have to read off the computer and I most likely won’t be in a place where I have a computer handy. So bottom line is you got me on the computer so I could add to your blog with negative feedback which had already been said. You accomplished nothing except to inconvenience me which I’m sure was not your goal. I still love your magazine but I hope you continue to hard copy it cause I like to sit and turn the pages – something we do little these days but I’m not 20 anymore and I like the pages.

June 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm
  22. Cathi

I completely agree with most everyone else. To have to look up further information/answers to the magazine articles on a website or scanning from your phone is crazy. The recommended app for scanning didn’t even work for me. I like to just sit and relax while reading through a magazine. I’ll likely not continue to purchase this magazine again. I have been disappointed with the last two I purchased. This magazine is not what it used to be.

June 6, 2013 at 6:09 pm
  23. Ruth

I agree. It’s rather annoying to have to go to the internet to “read” the rest of the story. I don’t have a smart phone and I don’t have internet at my house so I have to go elsewhere to log on. So, this means that I don’t read the article that continues on the internet.

June 8, 2013 at 7:59 pm
  24. P Dalrymple

The name of the magazine is Real Simple. Getting to the answers of a 3 question quiz? Not so much.

June 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm
  25. Velvetta

Did not bother me at all to look online. My computer or phone is always nearby.

July 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm
  26. Janice

The name of your magazine is’REAL SIMPLE’ going to a website for quiz answers: isn’t.

August 11, 2013 at 12:47 pm
  27. ipad 3 repair schaumburg

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

July 9, 2014 at 8:01 pm