…And 10 Minutes Later Your Child is Grown Up

April 17, 2013 | By | Comments (23)

Kitchen Timer

You see his little hand on the sonogram and 10 minutes later you’re ordering his senior school portrait.

You carefully fold the blue onesies to put in his dresser drawer and 10 minutes later you’re buying a light pink tie to match his prom date’s light pink dress.

You teach him the proper way to tie his shoes and brush his teeth and 10 minutes later he’s teaching you how to turn on the T.V.

You wonder if he will ever sleep past 6:30 a.m. and 10 minutes later you wonder why he can’t get out of bed before 11 a.m.

You marvel as he begins to identify words like “dog” and “cat” and 10 minutes later he’s taking an AP English exam.

You memorize the carseat installation instructions like your life depends on it and 10 minutes later you’re handing him the car keys and hoping for the best.

You excitedly introduce him to his “big boy bed” and 10 minutes later he’s excitedly touring his prospective dorm room.

You comfort him countless times, after injuries big and small, and 10 minutes later he’s comforting you as you dread the day he leaves for college.

You are proud of your child.  Pleased by the fact that he has found a place in the world, and by the new grown up he has become.  And, even with your heavy heart, you are happy that he is happy.  But you wonder how 10 minutes could have gone by so quickly.

COMMENTS

1. Kris

Reblogged this on Ciao Bambino! and commented:
    I hope to remember to cherish every moment I have with my son. Everyone tells me how fast they grow up and even now at just a little bit over 2 months, I see just how fast they really do grow up. I love him so much and I hope he knows that every single day.

April 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm
  2. Michelle

Nicely timed… Got an ultrasound today for the new baby and enrolled my ‘big boy’ for first grade. Time flies so quickly!

April 17, 2013 at 8:04 pm
  3. Kat Komin

This made me cry. Watching LO grow up is the best, but she’s growing so fast! 10 minutes ago she was a newborn crying in my arms, now she’s a toddler having impromptu dance parties with me.

April 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm
  4. Hannah Mendez

My oldest turns 2 next week, and the baby of my family, my little sister, turns 18 soon. It’s strange how the babies of our lives aren’t babies anymore in such a short time. You must cherish the few years you can hold them and take kisses ad hugs without them pulling away in embarrassment. Hugging my sister goodbye at the airport, knowing that officially shed be an adult next time I saw her, was just as bittersweet as noticing my toddler has started to lose her baby pudge.

April 18, 2013 at 1:31 am
  5. Sally B

My oldest who just turned 23 is about to move to the city about 4 hours away from us. This is so true because it does just seem like yesterday to me that he was learning to walk and how much I loved cuddling with him…now I have to reach up about 10″ to give him a hug and he has to bend down for me to give him a kiss…I look back and think of all the things I should have done with my kids that I didnt find the time for and wish I could do some things over again…Make your moments count!

April 18, 2013 at 4:08 am
  6. Melissa

Oh Kristin, you always say exactly what I’m feeling. Miss you.
    Melissa

April 18, 2013 at 9:14 am
  7. Judi

I just helped my two oldest boys submit their acceptance choices for college last evening. This was a lovely post to read this morning. It is exactly how I feel!

April 18, 2013 at 9:46 am
  8. Kelly H-Y

This actually brought tears to my eyes … when my son turned 10 last year, I actually thought, “oh my goodness … he’s going to be in our house only 8 more years … less time than he’s been there so far!” I can so relate to your post … it all seems to happen in the blink of an eye.

April 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm
  9. Mary

So true. . . . holding my breath all the way. (Someday I mean to ask my parents when they could exhale.)

April 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm
  10. Ana

True, so true! Why is it that anything we parents consider (duck taping, shrink wrapping) to keep our little ones well, little, immoral, illegal or fattening? It’s hard, but also extremely rewarding to watch our JB grow more confident, happier and – oh, why not say it? – fantastic as the minutes go by…

April 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm
  11. Aloadofoldtat

So, so beautiful and so, so true.

April 20, 2013 at 4:13 am
  12. Molly R

So ..so true. I thought my 8 year old was still a little boy until the neighbors came over with their 2 year old. In a matter of 10 seconds..my heart sank of at the sight of my big kid! He also announced that I can stop putting notes in his lunchbox….they are embarrassing. I didn’t realize “Have a great Day!” and “Have fun at Field Day” were grotesque statements? I’m 42 and all of a sudden, I realize why my Mom still calls me her baby.

April 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  13. Loree

So timely for me; I just paid the deposit on my daughter’s first year of college. I’ve been weepy all year with all of our “lasts!”

April 23, 2013 at 11:13 pm
  14. Julia

There are a lot of “ten minutes” in 49 years, (which my Son would have been if he had lived) and 45 years for my Daughter, who is the light of my life..so trust me, Life is very, VERY short!!

April 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm
  15. Julia

And I wanted to add, Very well written Kristin :)

April 23, 2013 at 11:17 pm
  16. Mamma J

This hit home! My first baby girl will be graduating in June and going to college…with my second baby girl not far behind. I used to cringe when my girls were small and older women told me to “enjoy every moment because they will grow up before you know it”. Well, I don’t know where these 10 minutes went! It’s a bittersweet time in my life, and how I miss those endless baby days!

April 23, 2013 at 11:25 pm
  17. Sheila Cadena

Wow! I wish I had known then what I know now. Having had triplets without any medical assistance (aka..naturally), I was sooo overwhelmed! Life as I knew it ceased, and I had to be home for entire weekends instead of hanging out with my girlfriends. People asked if I was going back to work, and I had to contain myself and not sound too excited when I answered “yes”!!
    Many times I felt like a prisoner in my own home because my husband and I had a live in nanny during the week…but she didn’t work weekends (poor thing needed a break too:) We were already exhausted from lack of sleep,so we didn’t even think about going out with them. Now, they’re 13 years old. One of them has been selected to go to a summer educational program in Massachusetts, (we live in TX). While she’s excited and nervous about being away from her sisters and us (parent), she realizes it’s a great opportunity for her. But I’m dreading the 3 weeks she’ll be gone. When my daughters were infants and then toddlers, people would always tell me to enjoy them because they’re gonna grow up so fast. I wish I had listened to them instead of just seeing how overwhelming my life had become. I too wish I could turn back time and have them running to me again so we can cuddle like we used to:( These days it’s almost like pulling teeth just to get them to huge back:(
    Best wishes to all

April 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm
  18. Michele

My son is now 21 and has gave me a beautiful granddaughter, but where did the time go? I was just the new mother taking my baby home from the hospital. I wish I had slowed down and enjoyed my kids more and worried about the little things less. At least I get a second chance with my beautiful granddaughter. There is a reason grandparents and grandchildren have such special relationships, we have learned to slow down and enjoy the time (finally).

May 10, 2013 at 10:05 am
  19. Caedmon Chang

Ohhh…..How right you are. I too have felt that in just 10 min. as my son would say, life has moved at warp speed. He is now 20 years old, has graduated from Humboldt State Univ. in Calif. Just Married this past March to a most beautiful, sweet and Godly woman. I too am looking forward to being a Grandmother. All the wonderful memories I have shared with my son, I wait to share with my grandchildren. I am truly happy that he has found the same happiness I have experienced in my life. As I journey through this empty nest phase of my life now, I hold my breath, excited for the next wonderful adventure we will share. Children are a gift from God.

May 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm
  20. Susan Mason

Seeing my first born playing with his first born brought a tear to my eye….but seeing his first gray hair set me to blubbering….but he’s still my baby no matter what!

July 11, 2013 at 8:10 pm
  21. Debbie W.

Oh great…I’m at work and now I’m crying!

July 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm
  22. Wedding Flowers Wood Dale, IL

What a beautiful post, and very true!

August 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm