Smart or Silly: Bottle Opener & Cap Catcher

Bottle Opener & Cap Catcher

It officially feels like spring (or more accurately summer) today in New York City. And so my mind had turned to outdoor entertaining. I’m lucky enough to have outdoor space—a rarity in an NYC apartment, so I’m looking forward to a summer of roof deck parties.

This Bottle Opener & Cap Catcher from Trudeau (available at shoptrudeau.com for $13) caught my eye. It does just what it says, after you open a bottle it holds up to 30 caps in the cavity below. I like the idea because it ideally keeps those bottle caps from ending up scattered everywhere, making it easy to empty them into the recycling bin at the end of the party. But do I really need another gadget hanging around my apartment?

Tell me what you think—is this a kitchen gadget that’s worth the space?

COMMENTS

1. Marie Roxanne

About 90% of the beer bottles here are now twist caps…so no bottle opener necessary. That’s too bad because that is so cool!

April 10, 2013 at 2:24 am
  2. Nancy1916

I think my husband accounts for 100 percent of that 10 percent! All the beer in our refrigerator – and there are about 5 different kinds – requires an opener. It’s definitely a party item though, not everyday use.

April 10, 2013 at 8:12 am
  3. marvirga

I have one. It has saved my marriage. My husband used to leave bottle caps everywhere.

April 10, 2013 at 11:37 am
  4. Kristin Appenbrink

Marvirga, I think yours is my favorite comment. I’m glad it’s saved your marriage!

April 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm
  5. Ani D.

Often “Real Simple” is “Real Genius”! I purchased this item & I couldn`t be any happier with it. My husband loves it & I`m way less annoyed when he has the boys over to watch the big game. It works on the twist-off caps as well (which I despise opening with my own hands) so I don`t have to worry about finding those darn caps in between the couch cushions either! The only problem is that now I have no choice but to buy additional cap catchers for my brother & for my father-in-law who have attempted to steal my husband`s several times. Why is every sporting event always considered “the big game” anyways?!

April 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm
  6. Jopi

Definitely a clever idea!

April 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm
  7. Paulette

This one is pretty good, but I bought my husband a Cap-Trap for his birthday. It came with a belt clip and a magnet attachment, so it’s always hanging on our refrigerator ready to open and catch those annoying bottle caps. When it’s full, I just press the one-touch button and the bottom door opens so the caps fall out. We actually recycle our caps by emptying them into tin cans and then squeezing the top so none of them fall out. Then we just put the can full of caps into the recycling bin. You can see it at http://www.cap-trap.com

May 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm
  8. Winston

I’d have to agree with Paulette. The cap trap is way better and it’s solid plastic so you don’t have always look at those ugly caps all the time before emptying it. Here’s where I found it:

September 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm