The Secret to Falling Asleep Faster

April 8, 2013 | By | Comments (16)

Socks in Bed

Wish you could spend more of your time in bed snoozing, instead of waiting to fall asleep? The solution is in your sock drawer. Swiss researchers found that people nod off faster when their hands and feet are warmer than the air temperature in the bedroom. Warming the feet dilates the blood vessels, which is a physiological cue for the onset of sleep. So put on some socks before you turn in! You’ll be in dreamland in no time.

Need more help getting a good night’s sleep? We have solutions for nine common sleep problems.

COMMENTS

1. Odel Raghter

It’s nice but very hot at summer time, so you have an idea for hot weather

April 8, 2013 at 10:30 am
  2. Dima Al Mahsiri

Fortunately I am a deep sleeper, no need for socks, I can sleep while setting on my chair!
    My husband even envied me for this ability :D

April 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm
  3. Julia Edelstein

Hi Odel. True, when it gets really hot, I think the best method is to take a shower right before bed to cool off, and sleep with a light sheet. And if you can, crank up the AC or a fan!

April 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm
  4. glitterandgapske

I find it’s also easier to sleep if there’s some weight on your feet. Lulls me to sleep every time!

glitterandgapske.blogspot.com

April 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm
  5. krisdw76

If I am too warm I can’t fall asleep, I need a little chilliness in my bedroom. There is no way I could wear socks to bed. Hmmm maybe I am abnormal hehe :)

April 8, 2013 at 10:39 pm
  6. Odel Raghter

Krisdw76 I’m sure you are more than normal, little kids and most of animals cannot sleep when it hot, but I herd of pseudo-biological method, you turn very bright light on your face, and after 10 minutes turn of, and stay in very dark room…. it worked well, and useful in any wheather

April 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm
  7. Bex

@krisdw76 — I’m the same way as you are — Hubs and I keep the bedroom super-chilly in the evening… but I DO wear socks to bed and I sleep deeper because of it :) If it ever gets too warm in the middle of the night, I just wriggle out of them.

April 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm
  8. Jennifer Gilbert Sams

I can’t sleep with socks on–it just feels so weird to me–that alond would keep me awake–even if I didn’t already have trouble sleeping!

April 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm
  9. Jennifer Gilbert Sams

*alone*

April 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm
  10. Krista Marie Rosenthal

Every time I go to bed with socks on my feet, particularly in the winter, I always end up kicking them off in the middle of the night because I can’t stand when something is on my feet other than the sheets. But thank you for the advice.

April 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm
  11. Jennifer Sanchez

Even before entering the vortex of menopause, I couldn’t stand the idea of wearing socks to bed. I feel a hot flash coming on just thinking about it.

April 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm
  12. igor sryvkov

I read somewhere that when you fall asleep, your body temperature decreases and that’s the reason a shower before going to bed is recommended because a bath or a shower lowers body temperature.

April 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm
  13. Kristy J. W.

@ Odel, So even though I am not an animal or a little kid it is still normal haha? And have you tried the pseudo biological method?

April 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm
  14. Kristy J. W.

@ Bex, my hubby is a “freeze baby”, I tell him to just use an extra blanket. Hey isn’t my comfort more important lol?

April 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm
  15. Doug

Many of us have to stick our feet outside the covers to “cool them off” while drifting off to sleep. Whenever I wear socks to bed, I find my feet get uncomfortably warm….

April 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  16. LM

I have circulation trouble and I sleep MUCH better if I wear socks when the weather is cooler, even in the summer time. Yesterday, I had gloves on in the house because it has been damp and chilly.

April 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm