How to Wash Your Shower Curtain Liner

Thomas Paul Luddite Shower Curtain

If you have a plastic shower curtain liner behind your cloth curtain in your bathroom, take the time this weekend to run it through the wash. Both curtains can go through your washing machine (barring a dry clean only tag on your cloth curtain).

When washing the plastic liner, use warm water and add a few small soft items in like socks, washcloths, or hand towels to help absorb some of the force of the spin cycle. Then simply hang up the liner to dry in the tub. Make sure you’re wearing clothing that can get a bit wet as you hang up the curtain.

Get more tips for how to clean common household goods.

COMMENTS

1. vgiordano

I did this exactly how it is described and my plastic liner came out with holes in it. Any suggestions?

April 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm
  2. teresathegreat

vgiordano: Trade up to a fabric liner. It costs more initially, but it lasts much longer, so it’s a better value in the long run.

April 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm
  3. Kristin Appenbrink

Vigodano, The water was likely too cold. Next time use a warmer setting, or upgrade to a cloth liner as Teresa suggests.

April 5, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • vgiordano

Thanks for the tips, teresathegreat and Kristin.

April 5, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  4. Tracy Blattenberger

Where can I buy that shower curtain?? I love it!!

April 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  5. Kristin Appenbrink

Hi Tracy, You can find buying info for that shower curtain (and several others!) here: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/bathroom/shower-curtains-every-budget-00000000011939/page3.html

April 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm
  6. Missy

I wash my plastic Shower curtain on hot with a white bath towel and use bleach the hot water makes it soft so it shouldn’t get holes or tear.

April 11, 2013 at 11:44 am
  7. Michelle

I’ve done this with a plastic liners for years with no problem. If you don’t want to put it in the washer you can also pay it flat in the bathtub with baking soda, vinegar and a little dish detergent (I like Dawn), let it soak and then rinse. Spraying vinegar on it after showering will help deter soap scum and mildew.

April 11, 2013 at 11:45 am
  8. markel

Fabric is also non-toxic, so a better choice all around.

April 11, 2013 at 11:48 am
  9. Mom of 3 Girls

I wash my liner in the washing machine and put vinegar in to help disinfect and remove soap scum.

April 11, 2013 at 11:49 am
  10. Mariana

My liner is advertised as washable. I ran thru washer & came out still dirty. Best way is to let it soak in tub. I’ll have to follow Michelle’s advice. I usually just soak it with bleach.

April 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm
  11. Charla

I have done this for years. I put baking soda in the first part of the cycle and vinegar in the rinse cycle. I use warm water and add a bath towel to the mix. Always comes out clean and with no holes.

April 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  12. Bettie McReynolds

I even put mine in the dryer. Not too hot and not too long!

April 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm
  13. Photo Kitchen

I put mine on the delicate cycle to prevent tearing/holes. Thanks for sharing, RS!

April 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm
  14. SallyGrey

Good post. Tips like this helps many people. Keep it up!

April 13, 2013 at 7:30 am
  15. super slim

If you are paying attention to learn SEO techniques then you must read this paragraph, I am sure you will obtain much more from this post on the topic of Search engine optimization.

July 3, 2013 at 12:31 am
  16. givenchy t-shirt

He adds that Barbie is dressed in black, and he had consulted mothers and girls on what they wanted their favourite doll to wear.

July 5, 2013 at 11:50 am
  17. baking tips

Excellent blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of
    any discussion boards that cover the same
    topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group
    where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable individuals
    that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations,
    please let me know. Many thanks!

September 4, 2013 at 11:24 am
  18. Debbie

I have a claw foot it is not easy to remove curtain, is there a way to clean without removing the curtain from the rings? I have been cleaning with spray bleach, that has caused the plastic to harden???

November 19, 2013 at 10:12 am
  19. Barb

My new HE washer says not to wash waterproof/vinyl things such as shower curtains.

November 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm
  20. Liz w.

Did this with warm water, gental cycle, wisk detergent, bath towel – clear liner still has soap scum!

January 25, 2014 at 3:43 pm
  21. folding shower screen

This is very simple and easy way to wash curtain liner, I appreciate your thoughts and like your procedure. Thanks!

February 20, 2014 at 3:13 am
  22. emiliejorja

I am going to attempt the washer tonight…vinyl but pretty heavy duty and also black tiled….Prior I always tossed couple bleach tabs in hot water filling tub n tossing bath toys in with…knock on wood always successful…n tub wiped up Brite white after, 3 birds 1 stone! Now have multiple liners n curtains so nothing to lose!

March 5, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  23. drapes pattern

I’m very happy to uncover this site. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly wonderful read!!
    I definitely liked every part of it and I have you book-marked
    to see new stuff on your website.

August 2, 2014 at 10:54 am
  24. beko washer dryer machine.

Great post but I was wondering if you could write a litte ore on this topic?

I’d be very thankful iif you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Many thanks!