Leaning In vs. Lying Down: Where Do You Stand?

April 4, 2013 | By | Comments (1)

"Just Let Me Lie Down" or "Lean In"

Like most people, I can’t go on Facebook without seeing a reference to Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In movement. You could say there is a working women maelstrom right now. And, in my book, this is a great thing. With a 2-year-old at home and two on the way, that elusive work-life balance consumes about 95% of my thoughts (the other 5% is spent fantasizing about all the things I’d like to do…alone).

Without a doubt, there are two sides to this story. In my opinion, Real Simple’s amazing editor Kristin said what so many of us career-minded women are thinking but may be too afraid to admit:

“My days in the office are busy, and when they are over, I don’t want to go to networking dinners or think about finding a mentor. I want to go home and have a meal with my family and laugh my head off over some dumb YouTube video my husband found that day. Maybe that means I’m not really ambitious. But if I had to choose between ambition and fun—well, that’s an easy one.”

And she clarifies, “To be sure, Sandberg seems to have noble aspirations with respect to women in the workplace, and I’m grateful for the conversation that she has started. Perhaps most of us should be trying a whole lot harder, in the hopes of achieving the kind of career success she has. And make no mistake: as the editor of Real Simple, I love, love, love my job.”

I, too, am grateful this conversation is happening. And I, too, love my job. But I think Kristin’s point of view is something worth sharing—with your friends, family, and Facebook. Read the full essay on Huffington Post.

Here, see the full twitter conversation around Kristin’s article. Where do you stand?


COMMENTS

  1. Laura

    actually if you’re really going to make it big, you have to stop working at work and start looking upward, delegate as much as possible, family will have to come second. All us theory x’s that work to live will end
    up in the modern equivalent of the typing pool and hopefully have a good family life

    April 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s