How to Remember Your Wi-Fi Password

March 31, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

Remember Your Wifi Password

I think one of the modern signs of friendship is having the password to your friends’ Wi-Fi network saved in your phone, but I also have those friends that just can’t seem to remember their Wi-Fi password (not to mention my parents!). So I’m going to encourage everyone to use this tip from Apartment Therapy Tech: Write your password on a piece of masking tape, painter’s tape, or washi tape, and put it on the bottom of your wireless router. Or better yet print it out on a label maker so you don’t have to worry about illegible handwriting.

No more searching through your desk drawers for the sticky note that has your password on it. Get tips for making sure your Wi-Fi network is secure.

COMMENTS

1. Marie Roxanne

Sounds like a great idea!

April 1, 2013 at 2:33 am
  2. Tim Woods

Bad idea. If you do this, then you risk having others steal your WiFi and worse yet, you’ll be held liable if someone uses your connection to do something illegal. If anything, you should put your password in a file on your hard disk, compress it and hide it in a folder somewhere.

When you need it, then you can unhide the file, uncompress it and then read it.

Even this is not the safest method, but it’s a lot better than leaving your password open for anyone to see.

April 1, 2013 at 2:51 am
  3. Vanessa Santiago

I assume this is meant for one’s home wi-fi where it wouldn’t be visible to unauthorized users. When you have guests at home and want them to have access to your wi-fi, you’d know where to find it. I guess it could still be found by someone unauthorized though (if you have workers or repair people inside your home, or guests you don’t know well who find it).

April 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm
  4. t

Better still make a huge A4 reminder note and paste it on all your doors so you never forget
    and guests dont have to embaressingly ask you for the password. Simples!

April 2, 2013 at 7:49 am
  5. MJ

Another idea: use the homeowner’s cell phone number as the wi-fi password.

April 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm
  6. suupern

Just email the password to myself and stared it (make it easier to find the email when I need it).

April 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  7. guitpicken61

Yeah. I printed it out and placed it in a drawer. I pull it out for friends very often. The comment above about friends being embarrassed to ask for your wifi password…funny. WHY would that be embarrassing? After all, isn’t wifi supposed to be secure rather than assumed to be an open connection. Sheesh.

April 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  8. Sherrie

Take a picture of it on your cell phone – then you have it

April 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm