What Do You Do When Your Dog Hates You?

March 25, 2013 | By | Comments (7)

These pictures are all you need to know about the cruel fate that has befallen our beloved dog this week. That’s right: we got a puppy. I swear it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The backstory:  our dog, Uki, is a reject from Guiding Eyes for the Blind (of course, Guiding Eyes prefers the much gentler—if completely euphamistic—”released puppy”).  After a brief, ferociously destructive period of chewing about 2,000 Legos, Uki settled in to being a perfect pet. Seriously, everyone else who lives in our house is deeply flawed compared to Uki. He is sensitive, kind, mellow, affectionate, and never runs off, even if someone accidentally leaves the front door open while we go out to dinner, which did actually happen once.

Uki’s only flaw is that he will eventually die. (I suppose, if I were wiser, I would not consider that a flaw. But we all have “growth opportunities,” as we say here in corporate America, and dealing with mortality is one of mine.) And he is already 10. So we decided to get another reject, er, dog. You know, so when Uki goes to the Perfect Dog Heaven in the Sky, we still have a warm furry body around.

Because Uki is mellow and affectionate and kind, he has greeted the new puppy politely.  Well, politelyish.  Sort of the way you would greet someone you hated in high school but ran into at the 25th reunion: fake polite, because you’re mature now.

The yellow lab is Uki. The black lab is the puppy. And here is what Uki is saying in these two photos:

Uki and the puppy

“Actually, I would prefer not to talk to you. I avoided you in high school and think it is my duty to keep avoiding you now.”

Uki and the puppy

“Seriously, people?!?!? Help.”

And so now Uki hates me, because the whole thing was my idea. I am giving him as much extra love and attention as I can, and really praying that this does not hasten his trip to that Perfect Dog Heaven in the Sky.

COMMENTS

1. dishofdailylife

We brought a puppy into our house too. His new animal family included 4 cats, and 2 older dogs. One of the older dogs indulges him and plays with him sometimes…the other dog has basically taken the same tack as Uki has, and is ignores the puppy’s antics as much as possible. She tolerates and that’s about it. Fortunately, the puppy has found a kindred spirit in one of the cats, and they are wonderful friends. Hopefully Uki will embrace his role as a mentor and to teach the young pup how to be a good family member!

March 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm
  2. Celeste Tom

We have a boxer/mastiff mix and we adopted two shelter cats when they were kittens. This was four years ago. Our three furry children bonded overnight. What a blessing! We’re getting ready to add to our family next month in the form of a boxer puppy. Wish me luck!!! Hmmm… Maybe I should take a trip to Hawaii and visit my human family before we get the new guy…

March 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm
  3. Molly R

Bringing a new “friend” home for your dog is like giving an exercise video to your pal…..”Oh wow! Thanks for thinking that you need to help me!….jerk! I just love being reminded that I’m easily replaced and getting old. Let’s put the cherry on the sundae of my day and go pick out my burial urn.”

April 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm
  4. Jo

Poor Uki,I feel for him!give him lots of cuddles in front of the new puppy so he knows he is still top dog.

April 9, 2013 at 10:23 am
  5. Cindy

I had this same issue when I brought a pup into my family. My older dog completely ignored him for several weeks and I regretted my decision. I talked to an animal behaviorist who told me to always feed the older dog first, always attend to the older dog first and prioritize giving the older dog some quality individual attention as much as possible. My two boys are now are best friends. The younger and much smaller dog (7 pounds now fully grown) is always trying to be top dog. Unfortunately, the older dog lets him. Be that as it may, I still try to re-inforce that the older dog is the alpha. Being older, he has the “experience” and wisdom of knowing right from wrong. I want the younger dog to follow his lead, not the other way around! My guess is that your two will become good friends just as mine did. Good luck!

June 10, 2013 at 11:08 am
  6. Melissa

I had to deal with this same issue with our dogs. We both wanted to add another dog so that they could play together. We worked pass the issues after many months of dog fights and even went to a trainer. The trainer said due to us having small children in the house we would need to make sure they stayed away from the dogs when we are not around. I was super worried and ended up making it work. I am glad that it did work out as now both my daughters and the two dogs are all best friends.

July 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm
  7. Melanie Pretzer

oWe had 2 dogs that were best friends, but the older dog died and Ginger become depressed stopped eating and would’nt interact with us. We wwre getting desperate and my brothers dog had just had puppies so we thought a puppy would help. Wel it certianly got her attention. She was NOT happy! She tried to kill him on several occasions but we managed to save him and now they are best frends. She still lets him know she is the alpha dog.

August 1, 2013 at 8:55 am