The To-Go Cup Lid Trick I Learned the Hard Way

March 15, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

Did you know that there’s a right way and a wrong way to put the lid on your coffee cup from Starbucks, Panera, or wherever you get your morning caffeine infusion? I learned this trick the hard way (on a black and white dress no less).

Before you take your first sip, be sure that you or your barista have put the lid on so that the seam on the cup doesn’t line up with the opening you’re drinking from. Take a look below to see what I mean:

Coffee Cups

The cup on the left, you do not want to drink from because the seam is lined up with the opening. You’ll end up with espresso all over your clothing. The one on the right, where the seam is off to the side (or even on the other side of the cup) is the one you want to drink from. Has anyone else learned this lesson the hard way?

COMMENTS

1. Brad E Wakeman

One practical reason to use re-usable mugs. . . . I avoid “disposable” items as much as I can, recycling when I can’t.

March 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm
  2. chamekke

My habit is always to turn the seam away so it’s on the far side of the cup – away from the lid opening. I can tell by feel where the front is, and sip from the right spot even when my gaze is elsewhere. Never realized this was also a spill preventative!

March 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm
  3. Dima Al Mahsiri

I prefer to use my own cup, I hate disposable cups, but if I have to I will keep this tip in mind:)

March 16, 2013 at 6:21 am
  4. Mel

I learned this one the hard way – working as a barista! :( Also, the lids seem more likely to pop off when the opening is lined up with the seam. Can we say Turtle Mocha all over everything? Boo…

March 18, 2013 at 11:41 am
  5. User:LeonorWon – Wizkid Tutorials

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written
    article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of
    your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

May 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm
  6. Craig

Be aware that the seam on the rim is different than the seam on the side wall. The seam on the rim is the one that most lids have a problem with. I believe this tip is regarding the seam on the rim.

May 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm