The Best Black Pants According to a TODAY Show Correspondent

February 26, 2013 | By | Comments (7)

If there’s one thing we know for sure about Real Simple readers it’s that you’re forever looking for the perfect pair of black pants and the perfect white shirt. Well, we found a recommendation from an unlikely source today: Michelle Kosinski a correspondent for the Today Show.

022613-michellekosinski

On Today’s fashion blog yesterday, Kosinski told the story of her favorite pair of black pants that she has been wearing for eleven days straight after an unexpected assignment sent her from icy Amsterdam to sweltering South Africa without a chance to stop home and repack her bags.

Michelle KLombard Bi-Stretch Wool Pants Ralph Lauren Black Labelosinski

While she doesn’t give the link to the exact pair of pants, based on her description: “my slim-legged, stretchy belt-looped Ralph Lauren Black Labels with a little split at the bottom of each leg” these Lombard Bi-Stretch Wool Pants from Ralph Lauren Black Label are the closest ones to what she describes. Pricey? Yes, but if they can be worn for 11 days straight, they might just be worth every penny.

Get more advice on finding the best pair of pants for your body type.

[top photo: NBC News, bottom photo: Ralph Lauren]

COMMENTS

1. Michele

$498 for a pair of black dress pants when the majority of the people won’t even know what brand it is? Not thank you. While well-fitting dress pants are hard to find, I’ve been able to find decent ones for $100 and less (especially with all the sales Ann Taylor and the Limited have been doing).

February 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm
  2. wendy

It’s articles like this that cause me to continue my love/hate relationship with Real Simple. I love the magazine, but the majority of the items the writers/editors showcase are financially out of reach for me. Honestly, even if I COULD afford to spend $498 on a pair of pants, (or $200 for a pillow, or $300 for a pair of shoes,) it is irresponsible to do so.Each year I debate renewing my subscription for this reason. Please, Real Simple, make affordable suggestions as a rule, not as an exception!

February 26, 2013 at 10:14 pm
  3. Mary

Well said, Wendy. I have steered away from this magazine for exactly the same reason, when I used to really like it. I was hoping to get a suggestion for pants I might be able to afford, or at least save up for, but nope…no chance that I’d be spending $498 on a pair of trousers!

February 27, 2013 at 6:50 am
  4. gmariekc

I concur with the fact that the recommendations are out of reach for most of us. I haven’t renewed this year because the magazine is not what it once was–simple, easy, affordable, and DIY tips, recommendations, ideas, etc.

February 27, 2013 at 9:43 am
  5. Shae c

Here in the rural Southeast, that pair of pants costs about as much as rent! Real Simple is now more like Really out of Touch.

February 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm
  6. pitbullmom

While $500 might seem expensive for most people at first glance, one needs to consider the garment and the use one would get out of it. Why buy ten pairs of $50 slacks if this $500 pair is premium quality and fit that will be a wardrobe staple for ten years? Personally, I do not spend $3-$4 on designer coffee or $30+ at happy hour or lunch. I do not purchase handbags with glaring designer logos but I will buy one pair of $500 slacks that looks good and stylish for years. Shop smart when you can.

February 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  7. KarenStaren

Oy vey! I couldn’t fathom spending that much for black pants!

February 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm