Are You a Shoes On or Shoes Off Household?

February 19, 2013 | By | Comments (9)

Disorganized Mudroom

Did you know that 80 percent of the dirt in your home is tracked in on your shoes? That makes a pretty compelling case for having family members and guests remove their shoes at the door.

But if you don’t want to make people walk around sock-footed, put a rough bristled mat outside each entrance. Those mats are most effective at removing dirt and dust from your soles.

Get more simple tips for keeping your living areas clean.

COMMENTS

1. Jillian Love

Shoes off! But only when it’s snowy or wet outside. When I have a mansion then more likely, shoes off. But it’s annoying for guest to have to do it everytime, especially if they are dressed up.

February 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm
  2. Counselling Belper (@counselling62)

We are are shoes off house. When visiting shoes come off too.

February 19, 2013 at 11:44 pm
  3. Karen Marks

When I think of all the place my shoes go-public bathrooms, etc. there is NO WAY shoes will be worn in the house. They absolutely must come off on the back steps.

February 20, 2013 at 4:18 am
  4. Derbyshire Counselling Service

So do you have slippers for yourself and your guests Karen? We wear slippers and are planning to get some for visitors

February 20, 2013 at 9:19 am
  5. MHCanada

Shoes off – definitely. totally agree with Karen!
    Keep an empty small shoe rack for visitors! got mine at homesuperstore.ca for 25 dollars.

February 20, 2013 at 11:57 am
  6. Brad E Wakeman

If the weather is all right and the shoes aren’t noticeably dirty, we’ll allow guests to keep them on if they’re only there for a short time (i.e. 10 minutes or less). I make sure to take my shoes off at the door every time unless my hands are full and the same condition I mentioned applies to me. If shoes are soiled or wet, they must be removed . . . no exceptions. lol

Although, I do have a carpeted room that has been soiled by our cat (and needs replaced) so I have a pair of crocs at the entrance to always wear when I enter that room. It’s our family room but mainly unused except that the litter boxes are placed in there.

February 20, 2013 at 11:59 am
  7. Diantha

We usually leave our shoes on a carpet mat just inside the door of our apartment (we have a bristle-y mat outside that we use quite vigorously) and wear “indoor” shoes inside. Guests can be shod or un as they wish, but they are asked to wipe their feet on the doormat.

As for other people’s houses: I want to respect your wishes, so when you invite me to your home, TELL ME OF YOUR SHOES-OFF POLICY IN ADVANCE!! Guests should know that you expect them to scrub their bare feet or clean socks on your floors (many of our “shoes-off” acquaintances’ floors aren’t all that clean). The advance notice will allow your guests to come prepared with slippers, etc.; it’s a polite thing to do.

February 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm
  8. Kelly

I guess I am in the minority here because I leave my shoes on. My husband and daughter prefer to be barefoot but I HATE it!!! I have shoes on my feet from the moment I get up until I go to bed – I can’t stand the feel of grit on my feet and we don’t have carpet. I would rather vacuum often.

February 20, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  9. Kathie

I try to wear “indoor” slip on sandles to help keep the floors clean. But, my biggest challenge is my wheelchair!! I bring the whole city dirt on the wheels of that thing! Anyone have a suggestion for wheelchair users? Streaks of dirt, rocks, mud, dust, etc. just instantly glide all over the floor! Sometimes my floor doesn’t look much better than the street itself! Suggestions please! Kathie :-(

May 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm