Save Money by Running Your Dishwasher at Night

February 13, 2013 | By | Comments (10)

Open Dishwasher

Did you know running your dishwasher at night could cut down on your utility bills? Because many electric companies charge lower rates for off-peak usage (generally between 7 P.M. and noon) you can save some green by running large appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, etc.) during those hours.

Try to avoid peak energy times as well—2 P.M. is generally when there’s the highest demand for electricity.

Learn more about your dishwasher and how to save money around your home.

COMMENTS

1. Ashley

I know more than one person who has had a housefire caused by either a dishwasher or a dryer. As a result, I never run either when I am sleeping or when I am not home.

February 14, 2013 at 10:01 am
  2. jenyjenny

I do this, but it’s because I know that the hot water usage won’t conflict with someone taking a shower or washing clothes. Now I feel very virtuous that I might be saving money too!

February 15, 2013 at 7:45 am
  3. SolarFlexin

In the winter, heat from the dishwasher can replace some generation. Double duty

February 15, 2013 at 9:19 am
  4. David Kichi

Dryer fires are avoidable if you periodically clean out lint from exhaust duct and better yet hang dry clothes when you can except during the winter.

February 17, 2013 at 7:15 am
  5. Luanne Peterson

Speaking of saving money, get a drying rack or string some lines in the basement and line dry knits like tees and leggings. Tumble dress shirts for about 10 minutes on permanent press and hanger dry the rest of the time. Most of the time the shirts don’t even need an iron touchup! Typically, I have one dryer load for every 2-3 washer loads.

February 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm
  6. Jocelyn

I’m fortunate in that I work from home, so I can run the dishwasher or do laundry after my husband leaves for work. That way the appliances aren’t running over night but I can get wash or dishes done before noon when the energy costs start to go up.

February 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  7. Cher

I had heard this years ago, but more recently heard that it didn’t matter as you’re charged by kw hr?

February 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm
  8. Heather

Ashley, what time do you go to bed? The article says ‘typically between 7PM and noon’. I doubt you are sleeping during all those hours.

February 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm
  9. Sheri

I asked my electric company about this and they told me it does not matter what time you may use it they cannot keep track if you are using it at night anymore then if you did it during the day.

February 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm
  10. Cheryl

This depends entirely on how you are billed. If you are billed using a peak/off-peak system then this works. If like me, you are billed on a per kwh system which has the same rate regardless of time of day, then it doesn’t matter when you run your appliances. Except maybe to my downstairs neighbors anyway.

February 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm