How to Make a Heart-Shaped Cake

February 1, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

It’s February 1st! Let the Valentine’s Day madness begin. I’m not big into celebrating Valentine’s Day, but I do enjoy cake, so I loved this idea for a heart-shaped cake that you can make by using a round cake pan and a square cake pan—no extra heart-shaped supplies required.

There are several tutorials around, but I liked this one from Craft Knife:

Start with your round and square cake pans (make sure they are the same size, likely either 8 or 9 inches).

Two cakes

Next, cut your round cake in half.

Round cake cut in half

Finally, place the two halves of the round cake on adjacent sides of the square cake.

Heart-shaped cake assembled

Then you’re ready to ice! I’d recommend assembling them with icing in between each piece like you would the layers of a layer cake, then you can frost the whole thing to make it look seamless. Will you try making a heart-shaped cake this Valentine’s Day?

Get more cake baking tips and techniques plus our 6 favorite frosting recipes.

All photos: Craft Knife

COMMENTS

1. Sasha |Global Table Adventure

So simple! I think my daughter and husband will get a kick out of this… I’m definitely in.. thanks :)

February 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm
  2. Kelly

This looks great! I will remember this for when I have kiddos :)

February 8, 2013 at 8:26 am
  3. joann

I going to try this, excellent idea, but do you use one cake mix or two?

February 14, 2013 at 11:35 am
  4. Kristin Appenbrink

Hi Joann, You’ll have to use two cake mixes. So be prepared to have leftovers.

February 14, 2013 at 11:44 am
  5. Youtube Cash

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!

February 28, 2013 at 4:52 pm
  6. Yoan Marine

I’ve got an idea, make cake mould that allow to create perfect 3D cake in a heart shape. My product isn t on market yet but you can have a look on Facebook

August 21, 2014 at 5:02 am