How to Keep Waffles Warm (and Not Soggy) from The Fauxmartha

January 31, 2013 | By | Comments (7)

Whole Wheat Waffles from Naturally Ella

Okay, first things first, how delicious do those whole wheat waffles look? The photo is from Erin of Naturally Ella, whom I had the pleasure of meeting last week at the Altitude Design Summit.

When you’re planning your brunch for this weekend, use this tip from The Fauxmartha on how to keep waffles warm—this would also work for pancakes, if you’re planning to start celebrating February’s National Pancake Month.

To keep waffles (or pancakes) warm without getting soggy: Don’t stack them when you take them out of the waffle iron. The steam will cause them to lose their crispness. Instead, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and put them in the oven turned on to 250° Fahrenheit. That will keep them warm until you’re ready to serve them.

Head over to The Fauxmartha for her tips on reheating waffles as well, and get more tips from our test kitchen here.

Photo: Erin of Naturally Ella

COMMENTS

1. The Fauxmartha

Thanks for including me! So honored. Bummed I didn’t meet you at ALT last week.

February 1, 2013 at 2:22 pm
  2. Kristin Appenbrink

Mel, I’m sorry I missed you as well! If you’re ever in NYC let me know, and we can grab coffee or a drink or something.

February 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm
  3. Dee

Great tip! We make waffles all the time, I wish I’d thought to do this! Thanks!

February 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  4. The Fauxmartha

I’d love that! I’ll actually be there Feb 11 for a little blogger thing. I live semi-down the road (in New Haven, CT). If not then, I’ll be back plenty of other times!

February 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  5. Nick

I like turtles

May 26, 2013 at 7:48 am
  6. Rich

Ok for small batches, but my oven is only so big and can maybe fit two trays. After I fill the two trays, then what. I’m assuming we would want to keep the trays off the bottom rack as not to burn the waffles when the oven turns on. I might be able to get a third tray in… But even then, what if your cooking for a large group?

July 4, 2013 at 11:54 am
  7. lorifm

@Rich – I was thinking of this also – I definitely make them ahead, and like to heat and crisp before serving. I haven’t yet tried this for waffles, but it works for some other things, like potato latkes – and it would certainly require vigilance, but my idea is trays of waffles in a very hot (450) oven for a very short time. I am further thinking to perhaps line each pan with cookie racks, to allow steam to escape. But, it is possible that is not necessary or even desirable, as the contact with the hot pan might facilitate crisping. Gotta try these things…

December 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm