Use a Fitted Sheet to Cover Box Springs

January 30, 2013 | By | Comments (8)

When I moved into my first real apartment in college I spent a ton of time figuring out exactly how I wanted my bedroom to look. It should have been a tip off right there that I would end up at Real Simple—well, that and the stack of back issues of RS I kept on the table at the end of my bed. Because I couldn’t find a bed skirt that went with my duvet cover that wasn’t insanely frilly or girly, I chose to use a fitted sheet to hide my box springs in it’s place.

I’d completely forgotten about this idea until I came across it (and this helpful little tip image) on A Real-Life Housewife.

Fitted Sheet over Boxed Springs

Now, I have a very tailored bed skirt because I have to use the space under my bed for storage in my tiny room. Tell me, do you use a bed skirt or something else on your bed?

COMMENTS

1. Asia

Genius! Pinned Immediately after reading!

January 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  2. Laura

I use a fitted sheet too! I got one in a neutral. I have never had a bedskirt in my life but did not like the look of a bare boxspring.

January 31, 2013 at 2:15 pm
  3. Mary Edna Ryan

Also covering your box springs with a fitted sheet on the bottom is a good way to keep your kitties from tearing and getting into the springs.

February 7, 2013 at 2:36 pm
  4. Melissa

I actually use a flat sheet between the mattress and box spring, so it acts like a bedskirt and covers what’s under your bed!

February 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  5. carol

Will that work if you only have it on a metal frame rather than the wood frame as shown?

February 7, 2013 at 2:45 pm
  6. Kristin Appenbrink

Hi Carol, Yes it will work just as well with a metal frame. That’s what I had when I used this trick.

February 7, 2013 at 2:47 pm
  7. Sarah

I have a bed skirt BUT I really like this more. Bed skirts are so old school it seems. Thanks for the tip!

February 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm
  8. Ashley

Genius idea! How did I never think of this before!!

July 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm