Do You Double-Check Your Receipt?

January 29, 2013 | By | Comments (6)

receipt

Yesterday, I did all of my food-shopping for the week. And since my husband and I rarely eat out, it was a pretty large haul. (After all, groceries are typically always cheaper than a meal at a restaurant.) So it wasn’t until I had left the store that I ran my eyes over the receipt. Everything seemed to match up with the items in my trunk—except for a charge of $7.50 for “Mango Tangerine.”

I have no idea what “Mango Tangerine” is, but I do know that I didn’t buy any mangoes and I didn’t buy any tangerines. Maybe that’s what pears are called nowadays? I did buy four of them.

Clearly I was charged for something that I didn’t purchase. I know that I should have gone back in the supermarket to dispute the charge and get my $7.50 back, but it was really cold outside, and I was in a rush to get home. But the costly experience got me thinking how many people actually check their receipt before leaving a store? Let me know in the poll below, and add any explanations in the comments.

COMMENTS

1. Laura

I also keep a close eye on the computer as my items are being rung up. I’m a couponer, so I often have combinations of things that need to ring up just so!

January 29, 2013 at 5:09 pm
  2. Krissie

I usually try to watch the computer as they go. One time though I was purchasing an item with a coupon attached that could be used in the moment. Instead of scanning the coupon to get the discount the cashier accidentally scanned the item twice, so I was charged double the full price for just one item. Luckily I noticed before getting out of the store and the customer service desk corrected it for me.

January 29, 2013 at 5:46 pm
  3. servicekaizen

Great advice. $7.50 per shopping trip can add up to a lot after one year.

January 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm
  4. sallyc

Yes, I always check. there were a couple times at one particular store where we found an item that didn’t correspond to anything we bought. we went back to ask the manager what it meant; she said that line item was a pack of cigarettes. we don’t smoke! after that happened twice (along with getting charged twice for one 2lb block of cheddar cheese), we stopped shopping there.

January 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm
  5. Jennifer J. Goodwin

Being on Social Security, my budget is tight and $7.50 could get a decent lunch with a friend at Taco Bell! Gotta enjoy the small pleasures !

January 30, 2013 at 9:35 am
  6. Vanessa Santiago

I don’t remember to check the receipt often, but I do keep an eye on the scanner most times. My mom is very good at checking the receipts and catches several mistakes a year. These mistakes happen in different stores, so I’d say maybe there’s roughly one mistake a year for each store where we live.

January 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm