How Do You Really Feel About Mother’s Day?

January 25, 2013 | By | Comments (12)

May seems like eons away, but we want to know: How does your family celebrate Mother’s Day?  What would you love to give this year—or get? Do any moms out there secretly hate carnations? We’d love to hear how you feel about the holiday, so please take our survey! We’ll run the results in an upcoming issue. (And we may print your answer—though of course we’ll keep you totally anonymous.)

COMMENTS

1. Lane H

I love Mother’s Day for myself and my Mom. Celebrating Moms and Dads is such a great day. My Mom has gotten older and instead of getting all kinds of gifts just to get her gifts is foolish so my sister made it easier for us siblings at Christmas by collecting money for a group gift on Splitzee and I am hoping we do this for Mother’s Day. But, the best part is getting everyone together.

January 30, 2013 at 10:48 am
  2. K. Patel

I spend the day at my inlaws and the evening at my parents. I don’t get the day to myself but I don’t mind. Sharing Mother’s Day with all the moms in the world, including my sisters who are also moms is special enough. As for gifts, my son makes something for me at school and I treasure those. My mom-in-law has mentioned she could do away with the flowers and plants. Gotta love her! My mom is happy to have her kids and grandkids fill her home with joy and laughter.

February 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm
  3. Heather Malgas

For the first 7 years of our married life we tried to block out mothers day and fathers day cause we were trying very hard 2 become parents…but we spoiled our parents though…now that I’m a mom of our 4 year old,Joshua, we r so grateful to celebrate our day 2gether with the rest of loved ones and give God all the glory for the wonderful gift of being a mother/father.

February 2, 2013 at 5:28 am
  4. Amy

Mother’s Day is the day when burnt toast, luke-warm coffee, and undercooked pancakes taste absolutely delicious!

February 4, 2013 at 1:17 pm
  5. Rebecca Lynn

Mother’s day is usually strange for me. My mom lives in another state, but I always call and send a card. My husband and I usually go out to brunch or something with his mother. And as nice a lady as she is, she is not my mother. So it feels very obligatory. On top of that, she usually pokes at the fact that we have not given her any grandchildren. It is by choice that my husband and I do not have children. (I have nothing against kids as I work with kids every day and love my nieces and nephews.) So, since I’m not a Mom myself and I don’t get to spend the day with my own mom, I always feel somewhat abnormal and left out. I’m learning to let it go though, so I’m not upset about it.

February 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm
  6. Dina

I will spend the day with my husband and children. I lost my Mother this past June and it will be a tough day for all of us. Mom and I used to spend the day together Flea Marketing and planting her garden. This year we will plant our own garden in our new house.

February 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  7. Kelly L. Stern

Our church makes much of mothers on that day in May, and rightly so. But for me, a childless orphan now, attending church on Mother’s Day requires strength. I miss our baby who died in my womb. I miss my ability to become pregnant. I miss my mother who died from cancer just a year after we lost our child. Some years I can focus on celebrating my sister who has two delightful children with kids of their own now. Other years I pull the covers over my head and stay in bed. One year the pastor recognized all the women in the audience who wanted to be a mother, but life had not worked out that way for them. He acknowledged my sorrow. I almost stood up and cheered. That was a Happy Mother’s Day for me.

February 4, 2013 at 2:06 pm
  8. Karen S.

My Mother passed away last year, so this will be my first Mother’s Day without her. In the past I liked to host a brunch for all the ladies in the family. My Husband though I was getting the short end of the stick, as I am a Mother as well, but I get great joy in creating a special day with delicious food for all to enjoy. I will continue that tradition this year and remember my Mother in my heart, with a smile.

February 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm
  9. susan

If you have a mother who is capable of unconditional love, it’s great to celebrate her. Mine,however, quit speaking to me 15 years ago and refuses to tell me why. I have no idea what I did to po her so much. She was always very controlling and everything had to be done her way. I have the feeling I stepped over that boundary?

February 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm
  10. Carol Polakowski

My mom died 11 years ago and I miss sharing Mother’s Day with her.

I have two wonderful kids, ages 20 & 24. The only thing I want from them on Mother’s Day is a hug/phone call, depending on if they are with me or not. I don’t want or expect gifts. Sometimes we’ll go out for dinner or breakfast, too.

February 4, 2013 at 5:19 pm
  11. Leah McGrew

My mother died in 2010. Before that, while she was failing, I’d take her flowers. When she was healthy before that we tried to take her out, make the day special. My dad took her out with as many kids as he could round up – generally just me – before his death in 1984.

February 4, 2013 at 11:08 pm
  12. Emerald

Took the survey and made my mom answer too! It made her smile. Anyway, what do I love about Mother’s Day? I’m not a mom myself yet, but I have seen how much of a hard work it is to be a mom. My mom raised me up alone and I’ve seen everything she has to go through just so that I could make it. So I guess the thing I love about Mother’s Day is I get to honor my mother for the woman that she is and spoil her with anything she wants. Provided that I could give it to her though.

February 15, 2013 at 4:46 am