50 Things Technology Has Made Obsolete

January 23, 2013 | By | Comments (7)

There are so many great things about technology (such as seeing my friends’ new baby shortly after she was born, even though we live on opposite coasts), but as with all progress there are many things and behaviors that we have abandoned due to new technologies. Mozy (an online backup company) recently put together this infographic of 50 things that are now obsolete.

There are several on there that I agree with, but also quite a few things that I still do. Take for example #9, I definitely remember calling “Time & Temperature” when I was little (though usually more for the temperature than the time), but now I can do both things on my computer, smartphone, or TV.

But I still do all of these: #11, #19 (occasionally), #25, #28, #33, #36, #38, #39, #45, #46, and #48. Let me know in the comments which of these things you still do. (And see a larger version of the infographic on Mashable—click on it there to enlarge further.)

50 Things We No Longer Do Infographic

[via Mashable]

COMMENTS

1. Happy Older

I still do a number of those things-like taping my favorite TV shows. I am always happier knowing that Hyacinth “Bouquet” is nearby and I can make my tea, sit down, and enjoy her for half an hour. Easier than monkeying with a CD or watching her on my 15″ computer
    or smaller iPad screen, although I did love Ballykissangel straight from Amazon. And you forgot to include “Buy a book at a bookstore” to your list. Thanks for the memories!

January 24, 2013 at 6:07 am
  2. Kathleen

I do so many of those things including keeping an address book and my sister LOVES to hang her clothes out to dry. There is no technological substitute for the smell of sunshine. It was a fun list though.

January 24, 2013 at 9:02 am
  3. janis la freniere

I dvr my fav shows, I buy books have albums, read newspapers, have banks statements. Yardsales are valuable tools for police officers to see if there is criminal activity in that neighborhood, ie if they are fencing goods.

January 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm
  4. MarieRoxanne

I still go to yard sales and hang clothes to dry I still have cheques but they’re for “direct deposit”. for work and stuff.
    Public telephones are good to finding out the time if you forgot your cellphone… LOL

January 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm
  5. KathleenS

I use spellcheck, still use the dictionary (sometimes). Mozy should consider the same – some ADVACEMENTS aren’t really advancing us…

February 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    • MarieRoxanne

KathleenS – Even though you use spell check… sometimes what you write is wrong.

Let me re-phrase this
      (Even thought you use spell check… sometimes who you write is wrong)

There is not a GRAMMAR check (yet) in technology, for example: a lot of people use they’re, their and there in the wrong context.

February 8, 2013 at 12:37 pm
  6. MargeL.

I still write checks for magazine subscriptions so that they are not “automatically renewed” every year. This way I can decide if it’s been worth it.

February 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm