A New Use for an Empty Salt Container

January 21, 2013 | By | Comments (14)

I don’t know about you but it takes me forever to go through a standard container of iodized salt. But maybe that’s just me. I do however love this idea from Thrifty Fun about what you can do with the top of the salt container once you’ve used every last crystal.

Salt Spout in a Mason Jar

Simply cut off the top of the salt container and trace around a standard mason jar lid. Being careful to include enough space for the spout to open once you’ve screwed on the mason jar ring. Then you can have pour spouts for all of your baking ingredients (or craft supplies).

Did you know you can also make a mason jar in to a cocktail shaker?

COMMENTS

1. Barbara Dunn

What a marvelous idea! Will try it today. I did have a little trouble “getting it” as to how the lid would stay on the jar. I think the lip of the ring will hold the top in place? Will find out tonight.

January 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm
  2. StephieLou

That’s a great idea. I’ll give it a shot, too! Thanks!

January 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm
  3. Rebecca Marie

That is so cool! Can’t wait to try it; I love tips like this!

January 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm
  4. Ronnie

I usually put the date on the bottom of the container when I bring it home from the store so I will know how long it takes for me to use it! I started doing this when my MIL lived with me and did most of the cooking. It gave me an idea how much salt she did use in cooking. The older she got, the more she used because she forgot if and how much salt she put in food. I have a tendency to cut the salt in a recipe in half and then taste before adding more. In baking salt, is important to balance and/or bring out the sweet and if you leave it out of somethings, like beans, they taste flat. Sometimes you may not know what’s wrong with a recipe and the right amount of salt might be the “cure.”

January 30, 2013 at 12:29 pm
  5. Sheryl

If you have kids or grand kids you can make simple salt dough for them to play with and use up the salt a little faster.

February 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm
  6. Erin

That’s a lot of trouble to go through when you can buy boxes of sugar that include a pour spout not to mention that there are hundreds of inexpensive containers that include pour-spouts or shaker tops. I suggest that the entire salt-box simply be placed in the recycle bin and it will come back to “life” in another, useful and recycleable form!

February 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm
  7. Luellyn Shadrick

I have so many of those jars from my grandma-don’t want to get rid of them, but the inner ‘seal lid’ is damaged or missing. Now I have so many ideas.

February 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm
  8. Marguerite Clark

Great idea I will put it to use today. Love to go to the Thriftt stores to pick up old mason jars or glass ware to put to future use.

March 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm
  9. Tina Davenport Revels

awesome!!! You can cut them dwn even more and put them on smaller bottles for the kids: so they wnt have such a tough time using them!!! LOve it..thx for the post!!

April 8, 2013 at 3:13 am
  10. CLARA

lots of trouble…I agree with erin…. recycle the whole salt container and spend the time on something better….

April 14, 2013 at 1:46 am
  11. nana

I go thru lots of salt.
    Use a DIY powered room freshener. Costing pennies to make.
    Needed: Salt, baking soda, essential oils, and a nifty container of your personal choice with tight and secure fiitting lid (I uase a old room refreshener container, and several other types like old hospital plastic big drinking cups with nice tops.. etc.
    Put in your choice of container; half full of baking soda then a bit of salt ( about 1/3 of the amount of BS and only a few drops of your choice of fragrance of essential oil/ put on a lid and shake then do the process again baking soda, salt, and essential oil. to fill the container. Now, you have your own personalized room freshener. Sprinkle on your rugs, etc, around your home before you vacuum. This is so easy to make.

April 14, 2013 at 3:52 am
  12. Charlene

Charlene ,I use the empty salt containers in my craft room for small beads and for powder glitter ,small buttons,spools of thread let the color of thread hang out the opening and you can color code the outside box (wrapper removed). Use a colored pencil or crayon or marker lets you know your thread color . Also save a few for when my grand children come over to use for crafts or in the sand. Box. Be careful with small children should be supervised.

May 11, 2013 at 11:28 pm
  13. Charlene

Charlene. Empty salt box can be cut down to any size you desire ,just cut and squeeze bottom of salt box and replace top .

May 11, 2013 at 11:31 pm
  14. LInda

Linda, If you have an empty salt box and a jar suitable for the top of the salt box. Why are you going to spend money on inexpensive containers that include pour-spouts or shaker tops. In reference to the other poster. You can recycle the part of the box you didn”t use, My father was a farm laborer. He didn’t own the farm he did the hard labor pruning trees , vines also planting trees. He got paid by what you call piece work. Less than minimum wage many times. My mother worked in packing houses, packing different types of fruit. And received minimum wage. Which at that time was $1.10 an hour. My mother has passed on now and my father is still with us. But in the passing of my mother and now having to take care of my dad we have found out their net worth is well over a million dollars. .How did they do that? By Kristin suggestions is my guess. Not going to the store to buy every time they needed something but using what they had. It amazed me and my sister you can’t imagine.

May 12, 2013 at 10:02 am