How to Clean and Deodorize Your Microwave

January 15, 2013 | By | Comments (6)


Microwave splatters are one of my least favorite things to clean. (Partially due to the fact that my microwave is on top of my refrigerator, and while I’m many things, I am not tall.) But luckily, most of this cleaning (and deodorizing) routine is hands-off.


1. Combine 1 cup water & 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Heat the mixture in the microwave to a boil.
3. Let it boil for 3 minutes.
4. Let stand in the microwave for 5 minutes.
5. Wipe down the walls with a damp microfiber cloth.


1. Fill a microwave-safe bowl with 1/2 cup of water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
2. Heat the mixture in the microwave until it comes to a boil.
3. Let the mixture sit overnight with the door closed. Any lingering odors should dissipate.

Get more kitchen cleaning tips here.


  1. MarieRoxanne

    I like the deodorizing tip about leaving the mixture sit overnight. I wonder if that would work with the (stove) oven too?

    January 16, 2013 at 1:48 am
  2. Judy mcpherson

    Does that work for microwaves with stainless steel interiors.

    January 20, 2013 at 7:23 am
  3. Troy

    I did the cleaning using vinegar, and I don’t know why but it rusted in the inside of my microwave!

    January 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm
  4. Jessie

    I hope this works better than using water & vinegar, which ruined my last microwave.

    January 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
  5. Eveline

    Vinegar & lemon are both acidic. Either will rust metal.

    January 30, 2013 at 4:12 am
  6. David

    Great, i’m going to try this this afternoon. My microwave is filthy and really needs cleaning. Will it work for cookers?

    February 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s