If ditching a not-so-great habit is one of your resolutions this year, here are five steps that can help you kick bad behavior to the curb:
1. Recognize when your habit tends to show up. If you know when it’s likely to occur you can be prepared to stop it.
2. Know the consequences—what will happen if you do or don’t avoid that habit.
3. Prepare an alternative behavior. It’s easier to replace an action with another one instead of just resisting your habit.
4. Know your short and long term goals and how ditching that bad habit will affect them.
5. Remember that you’re human, and that you will make mistakes, but also that you can start again.
Get more help breaking specific bad habits like procrastinating, gossiping, and always being late.