Don’t Store Gloves in Coat Pockets

December 28, 2012 | By | Comments (12)

Oxblood Gloves

Even though it’s the most convenient place to stash them, to keep your gloves in the best condition you should avoid storing them in your coat pockets. Why? Because your hands perspire when you’re wearing gloves (yes, even when temps are below freezing), and they need to dry out once you’ve taken them off, which they can’t do wadded up in your coat pockets. Instead try putting them next to your keys on your entry table. That way they’ll dry out, and you won’t forget them when you rush out the door.

Get more winter laundry tips, including when to wash all your cold-weather gear.

COMMENTS

1. Don’t Store Gloves in Coat Pockets | My Book of Stories

[...] Don’t Store Gloves in Coat Pockets (simplystated.realsimple.com) [...]

December 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm
  2. J Cernich

Storing the gloves by the keys on my entry table assumes that is where I store my keys but since my keys are in my purse or in my coat pocket, I can be assured I will never have my gloves when I need them.

December 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm
  3. Molly G

J Cernich, could you lay them on top of your purse? I always keep my purse in the same spot and find that laying my gloves over the top of it allows me to keep track of them. Happy New Year!

December 31, 2012 at 1:44 am
  4. Elissa

My hands don’t sweat in my gloves. In fact, even with gloves, my hands are still cold. Ill continue to store them in my pockets, which I’ve done for years–and my gloves are still find and never wet (unless they have been in the snow).

January 1, 2013 at 11:41 am
  5. Cheryl

Like J Cernich, I do not keep my keys on an entry table…as a matter of fact, I don’t have an entry table…no room for one. This article assumes that we all have dedicated entryways with space for tables. My entryway is 3 foot square w/ a closet door on one side & the living room surrounding the rest of it. Oh…& a window right next to the door…not a safe place to store my keys when not in use!

January 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  6. seagreen

the entryway table is an EXAMPLE. did you want them to come to each of your homes and scope out your personal situation for you? put them in the same place with something you use every day. there. it’s spelled out for you. now, should we move on to a step-by-step on how to tie your shoes?

January 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm
  7. barbara

I leave my gloves in my closet which has a place for all of my gloves. When I put my gloves on, I choose a pair and I’m on my way.

January 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm
  8. jacki

I wish my only problems were where to store my gloves….

January 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm
  9. Toni

Can people complain more over such an inconsequential article? It’s pointing out a fact that your hands typically perspire in your gloves. And they do perspire even if your hands feel cold. They need to dry out and a SUGGESTED way to allow them to do so was to put them on an entry table with your keys. If you don’t have an entry table, then figure out a good place to put them besides your coat pocket. In the time to explain that you don’t have an entry table or room for one, you could have figured out a place to put your gloves so they can dry out. It’s not rocket science to be able to pick out the true message of an article. The message here is that your gloves get wet from perspiration and need to dry out. Take it from there! Good grief!

January 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm
  10. be nice!!

You all need to chill a little. It’s an article about gloves, not gun control. Does anyone remember what happened a few weeks ago? Be kind to your fellow man and stop attacking over trivial little matters such as whether a person has a table in their foyer or not. (Also, you’re trying to make yourself sound superior by putting down another person and making her feel bad.. Grow up.)

January 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  11. Lisa Horan

Wow I can’t believe how snippy a lot of you are….they were suggestions not set in stone rules.

January 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm
  12. memphismarly

The author took a useful fact and gave a jumping-off point. It’s up to the reader to DIY.

I don’t have an entryway table, either, but I’ve had my gloves near my door for a month or two. I keep them in a mini basket hung from the accordion-style hat rack on my wall. Looks dainty but actually works pretty well and rarely falls off the rack.

You could also put them in your closet like Barbara does. Maybe attach a little basket or box or pocket to the inside of a closet door. Etc., etc.

Good post, Kristin!